Decline in Customer Service at Enterprise Rent-A-Car?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car has been my go-to rental car company for over a decade as I found their prices to be decent, their customer service to be top-notch and they always cleaned out and maintained the vehicles very well before handing the keys to another customer.

Well, all that has changed over the past six months and it looks like the wonderful customer service and customer care that made me love Enterprise has gone away. The last two rentals have been extremely dirty, full of dings and body panel dents and one was at zero-percent (0%) oil life and had a tire that I had to put air in on my own.

Now I am left wondering if we can go back to Enterprise again and even trust if they look at the vehicle or even do basic mainenance on them. Are they even safe to drive?

Let me share with you my last two rentals from Enterprise and perhaps you can jump in to see if I am overreacting to this. Also, if anyone has any additional insight into this, I'd like to know it.

CHEVY HHR RENTAL FROM ENTERPRISE - JUNE 2011

We just picked up the keys to a Chevy HHR at the Mansfield, Texas Enterprise location on S. Cooper Street. They didn't have many options, which is fine, and it was either the Chevy HHR, a Chevy Aveo or a Toyota Prius. We've got a child in the hospital and we need to have a rental car for my wife to go back and forth so we had to get something right then and there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062011113401.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	28146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062011124049.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	28148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062011113640.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	28149 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062011113507.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	28147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062011124135.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	28150

We had called and put the HHR on reservation, it was waiting out front for us when we pulled up. After doing the paperwork, we noticed it was dirty - not just dirty, but filthy actually. We asked about something else, they pulled a Chevy Aveo around, just too small. We got into the Prius and it smelled like heavy smoke, and with asthma in the family that's not an option.

We took the HHR and did the walk around, it was clearly not washed. The counterwoman who helped said they could wash it again, I said, "You mean wash it for the first time?" and she asserted that it has been cleaned. Clearly not, there is tar and simple road-grime that is still on the doors.

Once we opened the door, the stains on the seats were clear, but more than that were the filthy windows, the "food" or "gunk" that was on the doors, and the massive fresh stains that were in the carpets. WOW, that's just disgusting. Totally not acceptable.

Being in a very critical point in life, having a newborn baby in the NICU and me having to get back to work, we don't have a lot of time for them to do a full detail to clean it up. So we took the vehicle and drove away just to save on time. They said that we can call them daily to see if they have something we can swap out for.

PONTIAC G6 RENTAL FROM ENTERPRISE - NOVEMBER 2010

I won't go into as much detail on the G6, which was a wonderful handling car, but this vehicle was also pretty dirty and we got it at 0% oil life and an underinflated tire that I had to fill up when driving. It was near 30,000 miles on the odometer when we got it and I just wonder how many miles had been put on it between oil changes? I pity the person that bought this rental.

OVERALL ISSUES

What does this experience say about customer service in the US and especially companies like Enterprise? Am I alone? Are other people having similar issues to this? Maybe we should put up a "Rental Car Photos" section on this site so people can post pictures of the condition of the rental car that they get.