GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with a v6 silverado 08

I HAVE A 4.3 V6 IT WAS JUST GOING TO BE A SHOW TRUCK BUT I WANT MORE POWER AND SPEED NOW. what can i do to get that i have a 8in lift and 22in rims and 35in tires it runs strong but i want some more speed and power please send me links or any suggestions please!!

Welcome to the club, have you done anything to the drive train yet?
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

I really dont know where to start.....I would say go FI and get some new gears at the least. I rode in a '07 NNBS with 35's with stock 3.42's and the 5.3 and it was weak. Either deal with the V6 for now or you have a big project in front of you.

Lets see some pics of the 8" lift and 35's!!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Best bet would go F/I change the ring and pinion gears or build a nice 408 for her

nothing at all idk where to start

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

what are some good gears?

Honestly I would start with your gears, nice stall, shift kit, do some mods with your fuel system, full exhaust and a custom tune

You can get so much out of a custom tune,

I would look into some Yukon gears and look at some 4.55 or something along those lines.

________2013 4C Rated__________

X2 @ ajarman, 4.56 gears will be your biggest improvement.

With that 200hp v6 there's just not much you can do unless your willing to start a project ( ie. rebuild top-end of motor, or go superchager ). Bolt-ons might get you another 20hp/tq max, which will help, but still be nothing compared to the v8's out there. I would recommend optimizing your drive train as much as possible so you use what power you have the best you can.

1) gears
    2) torque converter
    3) trans shift kit
    4) Bolt on engine performance mods
    5) Custom Tune
    6) ** reducing tire size will give you a big improvement.

Note: Your MPG will drop like a rock with those 4.56 gears as you will be running at 3k rpm on the highway, but at least you will be in your strongest torque curve at that time which should make your truck "feel" peppy.
    Last edited by 98Hotrod98; 06-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

Welcome to the club. I would install either 4.10 or 4.56 gears. Your transmission will love you for it.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hotrod98 View Post
    Note: Your MPG will drop like a rock with those 4.56 gears as you will be running at 3k rpm on the highway, but at least you will be in your strongest torque curve at that time which should make your truck "feel" peppy.
    THe size of the tires will effectivly reduce that number. You may be running a couple of hundred rpms more but hardly any that you will notice. My buddy just did this with a S-15 Sonoma (2002 i think) he has 35in tires, and 4.56s with the 195HP 4.3L motor and it runs nearly the same RPMs as before. Your milage will actually go up from what it is now since the motor wont be lugging around as much. So a set of 4.56s would be my VERY first mod with that size of tires.

As to more power and speed we need to know what you are thinking. If you dont want an engine transplant then i would put in a supercharger, long tube headers, then a good custom tune. that should be good for a 30% or more power increase. if you want more you will need to tear the motor apart, and add in much stroner parts.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast