GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Maintenance Priorities, driving cross country.

I have a 2007 Silverado 4x4 5.3 with 54k miles. Bought the truck in February with 44k on it (yes I drive a lot).

As far as I know the only flush/fluid exchange aside from regular oil changes has been the front diff.

Next week I am moving across the country, from NY to Montana and will have the truck fully loaded with my things. I just put new tires on, and am having brake pads replaced up front and again getting fresh oil.

Of all the other possible things, what is most important right now? Tranny flush, injectors, drive line stuff? I am getting a lot of info from my service manager regarding the BG services. This is all new to me This Silverado is a whole different beast than my old vehicle and I want to stay on top of anything that may cause issue if ignored. The costs of these BG services are quite large, from experience, does anyone feel there is a major advantage in using them over say...my local midas or monro guys for the fluid exchanges?

Aside from these...is there anything else I should checklist for the truck before heading out across the country?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

I moved across country from TN to WA in my SS and all I did was change the oil topped off other fluids put new wiper blades on and kept a bottle of windshield washer fluid, your truck is still fairly new and low miles there is really no need to flush the tranny ect.. IMO stick to just the basic stuff and you will have no problems, with injectors I would just throw a bottle of injector cleaner in with your next fill up

It is Chevy after all

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well i would say you are getting close to a tranny service. I prefer to do them every 60K miles to the keep the tranny happy and healthy. Otherwise with only 54K miles you really dont have much to do since the truck isnt really due for any other service till 100K...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

x2 on the tranny flush, x10 if you pull a trailer. Other than the tranny, and oil changes everything should be good till 100,000.
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

Jr. Mechanic

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the air pressure in the spare tire. And at the same time make sure the cable isn't frozen and won't let it drop down. Our rural mail carrier recently had a flat on his '07 and had to cut the cable to get his spare out.