GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    If you do adjust the stock keys, make sure you do it with the front wheels off the ground. [/IMG]
    Good advice! I always assume that people know how to do it correctly....

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I looked at the keys that eporter2980 put a link to. 50 bucks, can't beat that. And it'd be easier on the truck, ill order them next pay period haha
    Ordered thoughs yesterday. Now all I need is a Diablo programmer and ill be set to go....until I need new tires.

Master Mechanic

I bought the same set, anyone know the estimated time it takes to do a lift key install? I know jack the front end up, undo the shock bracket, and then take the keys out. I was gonna use a big C clamp and just pry the end off of it like they did in trucks.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

With the proper tools I can safely swap out keys in under an hour, but this is on my truck. Your keys may be seized to the bars, the C-clamp you use might break, who knows. I will tell you this though, keep in mind that your torsion keys/bars support the whole weight of the front of your truck so it takes a lot of force to load them, while the C-clamp will probably work to unload and remove your stock keys it may not be up to the task of loading your lift keys. The difference in the clocking of the hex hole doesn't look like much but you'll be amazed at how much force it takes to get it into position. I was lucky and was able to borrow the G.M. tool from the local dealer (I know someone!), I know it's probably going to be difficult for you to get your hands on one without buying one, but you can also try a large gear puller, 7-ton or larger, just go slow and be careful and don't put any part of your body under the key when your loading it! No need to unbolt the shocks, not sure where you got that info, but the shocks don't have any bearing on key installation. Hope this helps,Be safe!
    Adam

Master Mechanic

I was just told unbolt the bottom to let the suspension droop as much as possible so I wouldn't have to fight so much tension.
    This is what im going off of : http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/v...eason-2-ep-408
    (part 3)

But if you think a gear puller would be best, I work at sears so getting a Craftsman one wouldn't be that hard (plus employee discount)

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

7-ton Craftsman Gear puller is what I used to remove my lift keys, so I know it's strong enough. Just be careful with installation because it's more difficult to keep the puller straight when you're loading them, as you tighten the puller it tends to try to pull to one side. Also use some lube where the puller contacts the key, it'll probably still screech but the lube helps. It'll be a little scary but you should be OK , like I said be safe first! York isn't that far away, swing by the house and I'll help you if you want. (Greencastle P.A.)
    Adam

Master Mechanic

Thanks for the offer Adam, I work at sears of Hanover tonight (5-9) so ill be shopping haha. I been spraying penetrating oil into the keys. Im gonna work on it tonight into tomorrow so heres for that. If I have any problems I might take you up on the offer, thanks

Just in case you have problems getting the old keys out or the new keys in, I recommend counting how many turns on the adjustment bolts on the stock keys so you can put it back how it was and your alignment wont be off too much.
    Adam

Master Mechanic

I was gonna use a greese marker or a scribe to mark on the screws the stock location

Master Mechanic

Got the front end in the air, got the bolts removed but damn! cant get the keys loose. been spraying prolong penetrating spray into them for three days but still holy hell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast