GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default strange issue ... 1999 suburban - does a trans rebuild affect the rear differential

i just got my truck back after a $1700 trans rebuild. All the shop did was rebuild the trans, replace the starter, and change small parts like the doenut to make it quiet.

the problem is when i was driving it home, after it drove fine for 15 min, i was stoped at a light and when the light changed i hit the gas and heard a loud crack noise.

the crack nosie was followed by griding as i accellerated and as i slowed down the grinding got louder. I came to a stop and changed hit the 4X4 button and idled it (griding) to a parking lot and waited for the tow truck. car won't move in rear wheel drive

while waiting i noticed the car moves when it's in park, when the tow truck declined the suburban to roll it up i saw all this fluid gush out the rear end.

I'm totally tripping now b/c i've already drooped 1700 and not sure if i need to spend more on it. i'm almost wishing right now the shop screwed something up, and will repair this at no charge.

Any thoughts, would the trans rebuild affect it? I had the trans rebuilt b/c it wouldn't shift into 3rd and 4th. everything else in the truck worked fine. it has about 100K miles. Also, i love the truck and want to keep it longer so any insight would be great thanks.

the same shop has the truck now and will call me tommorow but want to be ready to argue if i need to.
    Last edited by chiburban; 06-21-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Welcome to the club. Sounds like they got something wrong with the rebuild.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Did they rebuild or remanufacture your transmission? A rebuilt trans is they replace only what is bad/needed (most trans shops do this). A remanufactured trans is everything inside the trans is new/updated parts ( you usually have to ask for this and get in writing).
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

wish i could help

They charged me for a rebuild kit $400 and $800 for the labor. I hope they don't take any more money from me. It was going to be 1250 but then they reccomended I chage other stuff like the starter and the costs went up to 1700.

What would you argue with the shi

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

What would you guys argue with the shop if they refuse to resolve the problem with no further charges to me? Just doesn't seam like they did the job right...

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Btw I'm not willing to part with the truck. I know 99 is old but I want to keep it a few more years.

Welcome to the club chiburban,
    Sorry to hear about that. I dont know how many times i've brought a car in to the shop to get 1 thing fixed and it came out with 10 more problems. Shops make money fixing stuff, and there are alot of untrustworthy ones out there. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, i would make them prove they didnt cause the issue. If they give you any grief at all, take it to another shop and have them inspect it, then file a claim on that first shop for fraud if the finding support it and get all your money back + court cost. I've done it before and it sure feels good!

Note: any shop that wants to do those little additional fixes always makes me suspicious unless they can prove the part needs replacing, or you trust the shop.

Best of Luck!

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

If you paid with a credit card file a complaint with the card company. I did this back in the '90s with a trans shop in Florida and after he attempted several times to fix my trans and didn't they credited my account back (he was pissed). Keep dated notes on what they tell you and what they do.

It appears that other members have missed a key point in your story, the fact that it's the diff that blew up. In short, except for sabotage, the transmission rebuild should have had no effect on the rearend. Perhaps the rearend was on its way out before you put it in the shop. I'm willing to bet that once the transmission was rebuilt and reinstalled, the technician took it around the block to test it. I'm also willing to bet that the tech stomped into the pedal hard from stops and at speed to make sure the transmission didn't slip any. This could have put it over the edge, but I'm still not willing to blame this on the shop.

The good news is that a complete replacement rearend can be gotten from a junkyard for a reasonable price and can be replaced in a day with a couple of buddies to help muscle it under the truck. First though, pull the rear cover and inspect it for broken teeth and chunks of metal on the magnet. You will most likely be losing quite a few teeth on the ring gear. I'd say just have the gears replaced, but a complete axle from the junkyard is cheaper than a new set of gears and the cost related with setting the gears up (it's not a simple procedure to get correct).
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I have to agree that it's highly unlikely that the shop had anything to do with the diff failure, it sounds to me like the pinion bearing may have failed, and as CrawDaddy said they may have gotten on it a little hard to make sure it was shifting good and no slipping. Have you serviced the diff reguarly "changing the oil" or inspecting the level. Also it seems the shop was aggresive in sales, and if the would have spotted anything wrong in the diff they would have been trying to sell you a repair. You can fight it, but I think in the long run you will be paying someone for a new diff.
    Oh do you want to share your location?

I agree with Crawdaddy and Ron. Separate failure. Sadly, the G80 differential is known for failing at the worst time. You don't have to be running big tires or high horsepower either. A salvage rearend is probably the way to go, unless there is no garbage floating in the axle.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.