GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default GMC tire pressure monitors

    So i bought new tires yesterday for my 2009 GMC Sierra . I went up one size to 275/75 18 i think it was. Anyway after they got done and brought it out to me , i noticed that the tire pressure looked low. he says that he cant put the right amount of pressure in them because the TPM system will notice . Everything i read in the manual talked about low air pressure, nothing about high. The truck drove awful and i have to put the right amount of air in them. Is this going to affect anything or will the TPM even notice?

  2. #2

    Default

    I went from a C rated DuraTrac to a E rated Trail Grapp and the dealership put 58psi in the tires and said if any less it would run soft. Once it got warmer outside I noticed that I would get the (!) light on and it was read out check tire pressure. I called the dealership and they said could not re-program my TPMS for legal reasons. I did some searching and found out it was OK for me to run the tires at 42psi and they ride great and no warning lights.

    ________2013 4C Rated__________


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktm3fitty View Post
    So i bought new tires yesterday for my 2009 GMC Sierra . I went up one size to 275/75 18 i think it was. Anyway after they got done and brought it out to me , i noticed that the tire pressure looked low. he says that he cant put the right amount of pressure in them because the TPM system will notice . Everything i read in the manual talked about low air pressure, nothing about high. The truck drove awful and i have to put the right amount of air in them. Is this going to affect anything or will the TPM even notice?
    I know a few fellas with 07's that won't reset by themselves (stupid factory) and they have removed the TPMS sensors and put them in a little dolly tire and run the pressure up to 35psi. They put that little tire behind the front seat or backseat and that keeps the TPMS happy. All 4 of the sensors are placed inside the little tire so as long as the tire stays at 35 psi you are good to run whatever pressure you want on your regular tires without the system going nuts.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
    I know a few fellas with 07's that won't reset by themselves (stupid factory) and they have removed the TPMS sensors and put them in a little dolly tire and run the pressure up to 35psi. They put that little tire behind the front seat or backseat and that keeps the TPMS happy. All 4 of the sensors are placed inside the little tire so as long as the tire stays at 35 psi you are good to run whatever pressure you want on your regular tires without the system going nuts.
    thats hillarius and genius at the same time. seems that there is always a new issue that pops up with every new little feature that is supposed to help out.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

  5. #5

    Default

    That wouldn't work on some TPMS systems (like my Honda CR-V). The sensors "sleep" when not moving and only come online as the wheel rotates. The computer would complain that the Honda was moving but the wheels have yet to send a single.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jreagan View Post
    That wouldn't work on some TPMS systems (like my Honda CR-V). The sensors "sleep" when not moving and only come online as the wheel rotates. The computer would complain that the Honda was moving but the wheels have yet to send a single.
    Yes...but your Honda's will reset themselves. My 2007 Silverado won't. Pressure drops and you have to try to relearn the system and good luck with that. What I do is once a month I have my tires rotated and they have to reset them.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktm3fitty View Post
    So i bought new tires yesterday for my 2009 GMC Sierra . I went up one size to 275/75 18 i think it was. Anyway after they got done and brought it out to me , i noticed that the tire pressure looked low. he says that he cant put the right amount of pressure in them because the TPM system will notice . Everything i read in the manual talked about low air pressure, nothing about high. The truck drove awful and i have to put the right amount of air in them. Is this going to affect anything or will the TPM even notice?
    I would say its more important to run correct pressure. If the TPM doesnt like it all it does is put up the light right?(I dont have TPMS so I dont know). Might be annoying to have a light on but I would think ride quality, proper tire wear and fuel mileage would be more important. Can you pull the light or fuse for the TPM (once again this is assuming that is all that happens when the pressure is off that it just puts up a light)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I would say its more important to run correct pressure. If the TPM doesnt like it all it does is put up the light right?(I dont have TPMS so I dont know). Might be annoying to have a light on but I would think ride quality, proper tire wear and fuel mileage would be more important. Can you pull the light or fuse for the TPM (once again this is assuming that is all that happens when the pressure is off that it just puts up a light)

    I know on my 07 it is a light and you will get a message over your odometer. Kind of a pain.

  9. #9

    Default

    d@mn technology. kinda goes back to hiding them in a small dolly wheel. HA

Similar Threads

  1. BFG T/A KO Tire Pressure?
    By 1flyfisher in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last: 05-28-2010, 08:16 PM
  2. Tire Pressure??
    By coryv71 in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last: 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
  3. tire pressure
    By spazzoid13 in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last: 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM
  4. Tire Pressure
    By Restlessone in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last: 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
  5. 10 ply tire pressure
    By carrfire in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last: 03-28-2009, 04:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •