GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Lift questions

Sr. Apprentice

Default Lift questions

i am about to put 2 inches of lift on my 2005 z71 crew cab.

first how many tires will i be able to use? Im guessing 33's should be fine?

Also i currently have 17 inch rims that i want to replace. Should i stick with 17's? Is it possible to go down to a 15 inch rim on this truck or would it look awful/hurt the truck?

Im trying to save money where i can....

ideas?

Can't fit 15" wheels on your truck because of the brakes are larger than previous years. I would stick with the 17's because 15" & 16" are becoming hard to find. You can get a narrow 33"/285 on your truck with the leveling kit.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Are your factory rims damaged? Or do you just not like them? I haven't looked in a while so I may be wrong but not many trucks are being made anymore with 15" rims. What that means is the tire's for said rim size will be more expensive. I have 18's on my truck and the price for tires of that rim size run a little more price wise. My suggestion would be to look for a tire or style of tire to find a good price than look into the rims. I just found out my factory rims aren't what I thought they were so I will be going down this same road soon.

I like the '08, 18" Z-71 wheel on the classic body trucks that just have a leveling kit.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Sr. Apprentice

the wheels currently arent damaged..they are actually in very good shape and clean up nice...my truck is an 05 like i said but is in very good condition. i however, just do not like them...i want to put a mostly black with a little chrome wheels on

I have 2001 Chevy Silverado with a 6inch Skyjacker suspension lift and 16 inch American Alloy wheels with 295/75/16 Hankook Mt's on it and had to trim my bumper to fit them even though the skyjacker said it will fit 35 inch tires well I had trouble fitting 33.6 inch tires. Id say see once you put the leveling kit on it, go see if you can just fit a bunch of different size tires that way you can go as big as it will allow and wont have to buy a bunch of tires till you find what you want!
    "Chevy- Its a way of life"