GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 5.3l knocking and other noise - VIDEO

Watch the video and help me determine what this knocking noise is. It COULD be an exhaust leak, but I'm not sure. The other noise, is coming from ehhh, behind the motor. I was thinking it could have something to do with the torque converter or the flywheel, ect, but again, I'm not sure. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys!
    Black 2001 Chevy Silverado z71 LS
    Stock 5.3
    No muffler with turndown before rear axle
    3 inch body lift
    33 inch BFGoodright MT's

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well first off I hope that blue wire in the door jam is fused right.. 2nd Maybe a leak. Are those headers on your truck?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

yes, the blue wire is fused properly, it wouldnt be on my truck if it wasnt.. lol but nope, just the stock manifolds, looking to get headers soon. i looked at all the ports on the heads (with manifolds on) and didnt see any traces of carbon build up where it could be leaking...?
    Stock 5.3
    3 inch body lift
    33 inch BFGoodright MT's

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I see now no Muffler.. Maybe something to do with that..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Sr. Apprentice

I had a older Chevy 1500 and that noise was coming from the Exhaust manifold that gasket were bad knocking/ticking noise hope you find a fix

i thought about that also, im hoping to get a muffler for it here soon.. would it be okay if i just clamped a muffler on and just go without getting the pipes routed?
    Stock 5.3
    3 inch body lift
    33 inch BFGoodright MT's