GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Default Prius dislik-you will love what my Prius did to me!Recall inverter pump POS defective

I have 2 vehicles
    2006 Prius bought new $23000 OTD after the $3100 TC- 56,000 miles-no problems until yesterday
    1998 Suburban-bought 4 years ago-195,000 miles($2950)- been a very reliable vehicle-216,300 miles-replaced WP, brake booster,radiator, intake gaskets,timing set, shocks(roughly $1000 in parts-I did labor).
    Gets an Honest 21 mpg on 3000 mile trips from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ and back.
    It has also been a good vehicle.

My story-wife comes home- "Prius made a funny beep then dash with up with triangle-I drove the 1 mile home"
    I put on my Scan gauge code reader code POA93 -online suggests this is inverter cooling system failing.
    Check various forums-there is a recall for the coolant pump.
    The inverter-which apparently converts the DC to AC- I guess for the 50 hp motor?? produces lots of waste heat, and if it isn't cooled properly it cooks the inverter which is a $5000 repair.
    As it is the coolant pump would be a $600 repair. There is a recall on that part-Toyota is supposed to cover it but I sure don't trust the dealer.
    We'll see.
    Toyota makes reliable vehicles, but they aren't perfect and their warranty is very short-3 years and not a heck of a lot of miles.

Well you Prius dislikers should love this.
    The Prius really doesn't lend itself to DIY work- parts are pricy, the engine bay is EXTREMELY CROWDED-and it require lots of special tools.
    The Suburban is a much better used vehicle to buy-
    1)it can be DIY,
    2) parts are relatively cheap, and
    2)you have clearance to work on it- some room in the engine bay

Oh well
    Charlie
    PS And I'm broke(wife illness underemployed usual stuff).I'm counting the days until I hit 62yo(20 months). I'll continue to work-sub teach make $62/d) but I'll have an extra $1400/m SS coming in- we'll feel like we are rich.

PPS be careful buying used Hybrids-the battery packs aren't really much of a problem(except some Hondas which have big time Battery pack problems), but there are plenty of other complicated parts that can break,and they really aren't DIY type vehicles.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Sorry to hear about the Prius Charlie.
    Hybrid cars are still new enough where they cant be taken to just any mechanic which keeps repair cost's high and theres still not enough of them on the road keeping parts cost's high.
    I'm sure taking it to the dealer wont be cheap.
    I looked under the hood of a few different hybrids when we bought the wifes new car a few years ago because I thought I might go that route, I'm a pretty good mechanic with a well stocked shop that has a full lift but looking under the hood of those cars scared me away due to the fact that I never want to own a vehicle that I cant do repairs on or if need be change out the powerplant, the hybrids are not built for an average mechanic to work on they require a lot of special tools and to get at a minor part you have to remove a lot of major components.
    A friend of mine thats a General Manager of a Toyota dealership told me I wouldnt be happy with any hybrid the first time I went to work on it because it was a labor intensive vehicle if anything ever went wrong.

Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully with the recall, most of the work is covered. I'm not sure it's just hybrids that are an issue. I tried to change the oil on my wife's Volvo, and couldn't find anything except a plate covering the bottom of the motor. Forget about getting the dealership to do it. They charge $500+ for an oil change and cabin air filter replacement. Good thing it's a lease and it's due up next March, and yeah we're looking at GM's to replace it. Let us know how you make out.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

TBPLUS10
    Thanks-Yeah it definitely isn't a DIY vehicle for me.They-the Prius- are very reliable- but once you start having to replace things-say 150,000 miles or so-they will be expensive to maintain. The Battery pack actually isn't too big a deal- just $3000 and you can get salvage ones much cheaper-and on the Prius they just aren't failing at under 200,000 miles(different story for some of the Hondas-they are eating BPs).All the other parts-inverter etc- are very expensive.
    The Suburban has some downside- it is a guzzler- but for a low miles per year/do anything/second car/trip vehicle/ it is hard to beat a $3000 car that can carry the dog ,4 cats,and 3 adults and anything else I care to evacuate with-and we sleep in the back at rest stops on trips(saves on motels).Very comfortable to travel in also.

ALs09sIERRA-$500 for an oil change and cabin filter change?? Wow-they sure aren't built for DIY!!
    I think I'm going to luck out on the repair-should be completely covered by the recall.Toyota is kinda sensitive to QC stuff lately-I hear they are less CS about chiseling on defects(the floor mats catching the accel pedal and killing people etc hurt their rep)
    Thanks all
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully with the recall, most of the work is covered. I'm not sure it's just hybrids that are an issue. I tried to change the oil on my wife's Volvo, and couldn't find anything except a plate covering the bottom of the motor. Forget about getting the dealership to do it. They charge $500+ for an oil change and cabin air filter replacement. Good thing it's a lease and it's due up next March, and yeah we're looking at GM's to replace it. Let us know how you make out.
    I'm with you on dealer maintainence of a Volvo. My grandma has one and I did the last oil change at the shop at my school for $30 but the last one before was at the dealer to the tune of about $500 for basic service. It recentrequested the 10-year airbag maintainence Volvo requires, so that was a couple of thousand for that too. They are some incredibly safe cars though.

To phoebeisis, I hope you get the issues with your Prius sorted out. When I was doing work study at my local gm dealer, the diagnostic experts I was working with hated working on gm hybrids because everything is different and not easily serviceable

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Legend

WOW
    Just brought it to the dealer-get a call 2 hrs later
    WHAT A BUNCH A CS CHISELERS
    The recall items are free- but they want to do $1250 more in repairs /maintenance
    When I brought it in the writer said "you know they have 4 water pumps- we don't know yet if it is the inverter pump"-The code said there was an inverter cooling problem-so I did know it was that pump-plus I could see no coolant was moving in the reservoir-pump was dead!!
    Well surprise surprise the service writer says "your engine waster pump is leaking and will cost $387 to repair" Amazing how she suggested before looking at it that that pump would be leaking after just 55,000 miles/5 years!!
    Also says I need a front brake job"pads have just 2mm left" $200-Funny I'm not getting the usual squealing warning???
    Rear tires-ok she is right- cabin filter ok

All in all the free recall was going to be $1250!!
    I have my doubts about the water pump-and I'm dead sure I'm not going to find just 2mm of material left on those pads!!

OH WELL WHAT A BUNCH OF CHISELERS!! Typical NOLA Toyota dealer-bunch of scam artists-no wonder I never go to dealers for work!!
    Thanks
    Charlie
    Well what a surprise

sorry to hear about all the issues with the cars. and yeah these newer cars and especially hybrids are getting harder to work on DIY style. For example I just had to do some exhuast work on my sisters 03 altima V6 and noticed that in order to get to the bank 1 plugs, coil packs etc, the entire intake had to be removed first. which then requires new gaskets and labor time just for that.

I was down in NOLA all last week. the first few days were miserable sunny 95 and 50% humidity. cooled off a little with the thunder storms that rolled through towards the middle of the week. but sure made me realize that the 75-80 we sit at during the summer isnt too bad here in San Diego
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

dsfloyd
    Wow 75-80 degrees in the summer-that would be heaven(except for the earthquakes of course).
    It was 98 degrees here at 1 pm today-with high humidity-111 heat index according to the local news..
    I was up on my roof painting on reflective sealant - it was HOT!!

Yes newer cars and hybrids are tough to work on.The Prius does have a normal looking water pump-so if it is bad it won't be too tough to replace-.I can get a new Toyota pump for $85 delivered on ebay- or a Bosch for $45 delivered. Sure beats $387.

Thanks
    Charlie