GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Wax on Wax off ~ What Brand of Wax to use?

I'm looking for suggestions and/or opinions regarding brands of wax to use. Yea, it's a brand new truck, but it just ain't slick enough for me.

Please post your favorite brand (liquid or paste), application/removal techniques, types of applicators, types of removal materials (terry cloth, micro fiber, etc), or anything else you want to add.

Thanks.

LB

I've never used it, but one of my buddies swears by this stuff:

http://www.collinite.com/

I've never really used anything that really wowed me.

Welcome to the club. I use Meguairs Mirror Glaze # 26 Yellow wax, its comes in paste and liquid, I've always used the liquid. Apply with foam pad and remove micro fiber cloth. The foam pad and micro fiber cloth are also from Meguairs. If you go to my lastest picture album you can see a picture of myself taken in the door of my truck. The truck is over 6 years old.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Mothers Gold Pure on my ride......Good for 6 months....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I use the Mother's 3 step wax. It is a liquid. The first step is a cleaner. Even though you wash the truck first there is still "stuff" left on the paint. It is basically a light rubbing compound. The second step is a polish. The last step is a carnuba wax. I started to use this stuff in the early 90's when I bought a used s10 that the paint didn't have that pop to it. I used these products on the truck and it brought the luster back to the truck. It is time consuming but I am a lot OCD about how clean my truck is. I only use this stuff twice a year. Maybe three times depending on how much I take it off road. I apply all three steps with the round applicators you get from AutoZone. I think they are a padded terry cloth but not sure. Then I remove it with a standard terry cloth. I use a different applicator for each step and do the same to remove it also.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. I'll keep these suggestions in mind when I go shopping.

LB

Legend
    Blog Entries

I use Turtle wax. I use the liquid for regular waxes (once a year) & use the paste with an orbital buffer if I have any fine scratches to take out in between times. The paste has a little more polishing compound in it than the liquid seems to.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I have had good luck with an 'all-in-one' product called Klasse. Use it after removing grit with a clay bar.

Honestly, it just boils down to using a good soap to clean the truck, then a good quality clay bar, followed by a good quality liquid wax. Use microfiber applicators and towels and you should be good to go. Always wax in the shade never in direct sun. This is the low budget advise!!!!!

Jr. Apprentice

I bought my truck in June, 2010 Silverado. Because it is new, I didn't use any kind of cleaner wax, as that would have removed some of the clear coat. I used Mothers California Gold, Pure Carnauba Wax. It is still good after nine months, with all the salt and pollen, the laser wash still cleans it, and rain beads like crazy. Definitely put it on in the shade.

Kent

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by