GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Catalitic converter chips?

Hey guys me and my dad have recently thrown the idea around of taking off the catalytic converters because of the performance. But any way in order for my truck to pass inspection don't you have to have a chip that tells the mechanics computer that the cats are still there? Does any one have any experience with this stuff and what do y'all recommend? All the info on my truck is in my signature. Thanks guys

2011 Silverado (Ellie)
    Extended cab

Upgrades:
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust
    Leveling Kit
    Warn Bull Guard
    Blackedout Bowties
    BF Goodrich All Terrains

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike2011 View Post
    Hey guys me and my dad have recently thrown the idea around of taking off the catalytic converters because of the performance. But any way in order for my truck to pass inspection don't you have to have a chip that tells the mechanics computer that the cats are still there? Does any one have any experience with this stuff and what do y'all recommend? All the info on my truck is in my signature. Thanks guys
    For the Cat installed on your 2011"........the late Model Cats Flow Very Well.....as far as telling(Computer) the Mechanic if the Cats are still there.....In Calif before passing a Vehicle for Smog Check, the Mechanics/Techs have to look and see if the Cats are where they should be....along with the MAF Sensor and so on.....As far as in Texas, it may be different??
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-27-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Some texas counties have very similar smog protection stuff as cali. For example Harris county defiantly does, Angelina county does not. When you go for inspection if they hook the computer up to your truck, then its smog regulated, if they just check the horn,lights, ect... then its not.

Gov. Perry is suppose to get a bill passed that makes all counties reduce their smog emissions soon, so I wouldn't mess with cats in Texas on a new vehicle.

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

Leave the cats on your truck, it will run better with them unless your building a all out race truck. As Mike mentioned the new cats flow well. If you remove the cats you will need a custom tune. Alot of peope take them off because they think its a cheap way to get performance, but it really hurts performance.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

X3 on them flowing well enough. ive looked in a few of them and really isnt much restricting flow.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Ya we got the idea from a friend and wanted to see what the pros had to say about the idea. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike2011 View Post
    Ya we got the idea from a friend and wanted to see what the pros had to say about the idea. Thanks guys!
    X4 - The stock cats are pretty good....I took mine to a exhaust shop to shop hi flow cats and the guys there pretty much told me to save my money.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

X5 on Mike Heartbeats post on the visual inspection. When they do the visual portion of the I&M they look for everything to be there & for any modifications or customer tampering.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol