GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why oh why cant the 4.3 be better

Can someone tell me why gm can make the camaro have a v6 that gets 26mpg but the 4.3 only gets 16 to 17mpg.... If the truck was as quick as the camaro then I would complain..

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Wouldnt... Hate typing on a phone

Your economy has something to do with trying to push a 2 1/2 ton box around....
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Welcome to the club. X2 your truck is a box and weighs alot more than your Camero.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I guess I'd better not complain for the 26.9 mpg I realized on my last tank.

26.9 with a truck? tell us more.....
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Well, for starters it's a truck...Don't know why everyone always expects to get as good as mpg as cars. I'm lucky to break into the teen's with mine.

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Just pissed me off the other day when I was riding with my buddy who has a f250 2004 turbo desiel and he is getting 26 mpg doing 80 down the highway with it to the floor... He gets 19 on a bad day

Its mostly because of the weight of your truck. I think I get about 20 on a very good day with my 4.3. I get a little better MPG with my truck because its a 5spd. so I shift from 1st, 3rd, then to 5th and genraly standards get a little better MPG. Try putting a cold air intake on it or atleast a K&N air filter on it. Make sure that your fuel filter is good and that your spark plugs and wires are good. But still, the 4.3 is a great engine and does the job
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad8120 View Post
    Just pissed me off the other day when I was riding with my buddy who has a f250 2004 turbo desiel and he is getting 26 mpg doing 80 down the highway with it to the floor... He gets 19 on a bad day
    Don't even sweat that. You're not even comparing apples to oranges, more like apples to plywood.
    Diesels are torque monsters, and are geared accordingly. Although if your friends powerstroke was doing 80 floored he has bigger issues than you'd ever have with just poor mileage.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island