GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 K1500 5.7 runs perfect but starts very wierd..Need help!! Long time no post! :)

On my 98 K1500 5.7 automatic this starting problem has progressively gotten worse. Usually when the truck is cold I will get in it and start to crank it up and it sounds like it's going to start so i let off the key but the RPMs will kind stay real low and the truck will hesitate then finally crank up and idle. (idles a LITTLE rough). but I drove about 15 miles yesterday at about 70mph the truck ran fine and I stopped and parked the truck for maybe 10 minutes and when I got back in it and tried to start it, the truck cranked and cranked for like 3 full seconds then it finally started (barely). I don't know what this could be. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires not long ago so it's getting spark. The starter is fine I can hear it spinning fast. It should be getting air so my guess would be a fuel problem but the pump was replaced about a yr ago and it runs fine once it's running????

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.
    -Nate
    1998 Silverado 5.7 4WD

Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is leaking. Pretty common problem on these trucks. $50 part, couple hours.

Next time you start it, try stepping on the gas some. That will give it more air to offset the excess fuel in the manifold.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Could be what cor said, also it could be an idle air control valve or vacume leak as well. Do you have a check engine light on?
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

hmmm...wierd thing is that today when I started up the truck to go wash it, the truck acted totally normal. I drove it a few miles to get her washed up and when I started it back up there was no hesitation at all. No check engine light and if it acts up again i'll give it some gas.

Thanks for the input!