GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Best Towing Gear Ratio...

I wanted to get some opinions about "what's the best gear ratio for towing?"
    Specifically, I have a 2001 Suburban 6.0 4x4 2500. It has the factory "heavy duty" towing package with 3.73 gears. This truck drives me to work about 3 miles each way. It also drives down the interstate during the summer months to my camp. I am usually towing equipment or my Travel trailer. We have a lot of mountain passes around. I'm not worried about fuel ecomony as it already gets maybe 13 mpg HWY and about 9-10 city, so thats out the window. I want a good highway towing gear that matches better to the 4l80 and the higher reving 6.0L in my truck. I can get ratios from 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 or 5.13
    I was looking at the 4.56 maybe, but not sure if I'm going to kill the truck @ 70 mph.
    Would the 4.11 make a big difference? Or, should I look into 4.56 or even a 4.88?
    I don't like the 3.73 with the 4l80's 1st gear, it tachs out in 1st at about 45mph I want to get a better "get up and go" 1st gear for the truck and possibly utilize all 4 speeds on the highway when towing instead of shifting it back to 3rd for crusing. Over Drive with a small trailer on a slight grade is just no power with the stock gearing.

What do you guys think?
    2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L
    Cold Air Intake

Welcome to the club. How tall are the tires on your truck, stock size?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by emower View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions about "what's the best gear ratio for towing?"
    Specifically, I have a 2001 Suburban 6.0 4x4 2500. It has the factory "heavy duty" towing package with 3.73 gears. This truck drives me to work about 3 miles each way. It also drives down the interstate during the summer months to my camp. I am usually towing equipment or my Travel trailer. We have a lot of mountain passes around. I'm not worried about fuel ecomony as it already gets maybe 13 mpg HWY and about 9-10 city, so thats out the window. I want a good highway towing gear that matches better to the 4l80 and the higher reving 6.0L in my truck. I can get ratios from 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 or 5.13
    I was looking at the 4.56 maybe, but not sure if I'm going to kill the truck @ 70 mph.
    Would the 4.11 make a big difference? Or, should I look into 4.56 or even a 4.88?
    I don't like the 3.73 with the 4l80's 1st gear, it tachs out in 1st at about 45mph I want to get a better "get up and go" 1st gear for the truck and possibly utilize all 4 speeds on the highway when towing instead of shifting it back to 3rd for crusing. Over Drive with a small trailer on a slight grade is just no power with the stock gearing.

What do you guys think?
    What is the weight of your trailer and how much air drag do you get? Also, why are you shifting to third on the highway? Leave it in Drive and put the tranny in Tow/Haul mode. The older Tahoe's and Subs had to be put in third but not the 800 series. I have an 03 Tahoe with the 5.3 and the 3:73 and it works just fine towing my 5500 lb car trailer with about 500 lbs of tools and spare parts in the rear of the truck. I live in a hilly area in up state NY and have no trouble on long steep hills. I just leave it in cruise at 70 mph and I am usually the one passing others in those sections. I have 8 years of trailering with this truck several hundred miles at a time with no performance issues.

Bill

Legend
    Blog Entries

Honestly the best all around ratio for trucks is the 3.73 since it gives you the best for empty, and good for towing. i would leave it be...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Most I would go is 4.11, with stock tires.

3.73 is a good stock towing gear. after that, assuming you are on stock tires I would say 4.10's will give you some more towing ability. (my owners manual actually shows an increase in towing capacity as well with the 4.10's over the 3.73's). the 4.10's wont kill you on the highway either. Just remember if you do a gear change do both axles, and you will need to correct your speedo as well. 4.56 will be too much on stock sized tires.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member