GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sr. Apprentice

Sorry for revamping this post, but the problem may be solved and a lesson learned for me. I took my truck back for the above problem on Friday about 0700. I had the truck sit for a while, hoping it would cool down enough to replicate the issue. Went on a test drive with my service writer and the head tech guy. Murphy's law took over and it did not show the problems. They asked to keep it at the dealership for the day. Around 4:30 they called and asked that I come back, that they may have found the problem. I arrive and meet a host of employees around my truck and a tech sitting in the drivers seat. He's turned slightly, sitting with his feet resting on the nerf bars and starts explaining the all day process with my truck. I really wanted him to stop dragging out the explanation (like the length of this response) and tell me the problem they discovered. As he explained the time line, i noticed the truck was on and idling. I then noticed the vehicle was in drive and the emergency brake was not on. About that time he revealed that they discovered that the rear drum brakes were not releasing properly.

It appears that this has not been an engine/ECM problem, but the brakes not properly disengage. I promise that I am not usually this wordy, just happy that it may be fixed and I can get back to liking my Chevrolet.....
    Last edited by dock420; 02-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Excellent work detective. Now all of us who have experienced this issue , but with less dealership enthusiasm , can now go see about correcting the problem.

Thanks for all your efforts and posting to help others.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Well good they found the issue, but I suspect the rear brakes are now pretty worn.

Dock420,
    Thanks for taking the time to make all your posts on this problem. As basically just a backyard guy when it comes to car repair, I really like to hear solutions to problems. Particularly so when the solution is a bit unexpected. Kudos to the dealership to figuring out the problem, and best of luck to you for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmntcritr View Post
    Dock420,
    Thanks for taking the time to make all your posts on this problem. As basically just a backyard guy when it comes to car repair, I really like to hear solutions to problems. Particularly so when the solution is a bit unexpected. Kudos to the dealership to figuring out the problem, and best of luck to you for the future.
    Yup. You are a car/truck junkie. Where in Utah?

I'm in northern Utah. Roughly 25 mi north of Salt Lake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12