GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Transmission Cooler? Need to drain out a quart of Transmission Fluid

So I got my truck back from the dealer and there is too much transmission fluid in it. I need to drain about a quart out. From what I read the easiest way to do it is to pull a line from the transmission cooler. I have a radiator, what looks like a core / cooler for the AC/HVAC, and a small cooler in front of those. It is a 2004 Z71 4X4 with the 4.8l motor. I need to know which of these is the transmission cooler, and which line I should pull at the cooler. Thanks in advanced... Pics Attached
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110630-00001.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	28333

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzi722 View Post
    So I got my truck back from the dealer and there is too much transmission fluid in it. I need to drain about a quart out. From what I read the easiest way to do it is to pull a line from the transmission cooler. I have a radiator, what looks like a core / cooler for the AC/HVAC, and a small cooler in front of those. It is a 2004 Z71 4X4 with the 4.8l motor. I need to know which of these is the transmission cooler, and which line I should pull at the cooler. Thanks in advanced... Pics Attached
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110630-00001.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	28333
    The Transmission Cooler is the Small one in the Front/Center in your Picture....sorry I can't remember which line you need to pull??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks! Do you by any chance know which line is the line coming from the transmission into the cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzi722 View Post
    Thanks! Do you by any chance know which line is the line coming from the transmission into the cooler?
    Sorry....I can't remember, what you can do is pull...Dic-connect one line and have a bucket/can to catch any fliud and a friend to hold the bucket by the line you Di-connect, once you start the truck, will see Trans fluid coming out,.....if not then it's the other line....that's the only way I would know which line it would be.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Let the truck completely cool and then start and hold both the cooler lines with your hands. The warmer line is the inlet and the cooler side is the outlet.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Are you sure you checked the level correctly, in park, transmission hot, and engine running? Are you sure that the dealer put a quart too much in? Checking the transmission fluid in any other condition than I outlined will cause the reading to be higher than it really is.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

X2 on what crawdaddy said and make sure it is on level groound