GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question New to the forum Need Help!!

I own a 2007 LT3 Tahoe with 26000 miles on it. Picked it up Nov 21 st 2007

Ok so we went on a trip from San Jose to Yuma Arizona to pick up a 16' Toy Hauler. On the way back My Wife rolled her window down and Yuk it smells like propane gas and or Sulfur BAD!! We were at a Gas station so we thought it was their filling station. Later on she opened the window and Pow again.

I thought it may be because we are towing the trailer and Srug it off.

So today I am driving home and put down the windows and there it is again. I am not towing I am going 45 mph and the smell gets really BAD!! I need some help here. What do you think is causing this????

I am going to bring it to the dealer but don't want to get charged. Since I am out of my 1 year warranty. It is a motor related subject and I have had the trannny reworked already since 1st went out already.

I am Pissed!!!

Thank you,

Hugh

Legend

Have you had your truck serviced by any of the quick lube shops?
    Seems recently they have a practice of trying to sell an engine cleaner, along with a new air filter, pvc....etc and all the other garbage they try to push on you when you only want a simple oil change.

Anyway, the engine cleaner is a gas treatment that tends to give off a rotten egg smell until it's out of the truck's fuel system.

Just a thought
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Legend

One year warranty?? What is that all about? If its a 2007 it should still have the 3/36000 base warranty not to mention that if you look through your owners manual GM for a longtime has had a 100,000 separate drivetrain warranty, did you buy this new??
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I'm leaning towards the catalytic converter, high heat from the long trip and throw in some crap gas you get =

http://www.garage-pak.com/pat-goss-w...halitosis.html

The odor comes from the retention of excess sulfur compounds in the catalytic converter. Sulfur compounds may be the result of highly blended, additive-laced, oxygenated, reformulated gasoline. Hereís how. Cars now have three-way catalytic converters, which tend to store sulfur leftover from burning gasoline. This typically happens while the vehicle is being driven at steady highway speed. When you slow down and re-accelerate or the engine comes to an idle the air-fuel mixture becomes more concentrated with fuel. The richer fuel mixture creates a chemical reaction that leads to the release of stored sulfur in the form of hydrogen sulfide. Itís the hydrogen sulfide that has the nauseating smell!

You could try a can of seafoam in the tank to see if that helps some it couldn't hurt at this point I don't think.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    I'm leaning towards the catalytic converter, high heat from the long trip and throw in some crap gas you get =

http://www.garage-pak.com/pat-goss-w...halitosis.html

The odor comes from the retention of excess sulfur compounds in the catalytic converter. Sulfur compounds may be the result of highly blended, additive-laced, oxygenated, reformulated gasoline. Hereís how. Cars now have three-way catalytic converters, which tend to store sulfur leftover from burning gasoline. This typically happens while the vehicle is being driven at steady highway speed. When you slow down and re-accelerate or the engine comes to an idle the air-fuel mixture becomes more concentrated with fuel. The richer fuel mixture creates a chemical reaction that leads to the release of stored sulfur in the form of hydrogen sulfide. Itís the hydrogen sulfide that has the nauseating smell!

You could try a can of seafoam in the tank to see if that helps some it couldn't hurt at this point I don't think.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
    Bingo. This is exactly what I was thinking. Catalytic converters smell horrible and just like you described when they either get too hot, have raw fuel being dumped into them or are starting to go bad.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

welcome to the site, i would have to say its the cat working, maybe got some bad gas?

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I'd say either your cats are going out, or you got bad gas, where did you fill up last? But its probably cats, Me and a friend were driving his car and it started to smell like that and sure enough, it was the cats.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Jr. Apprentice

1st of all it is most likely not your catalitic converter. I have had this exact problem for the last 6 weeks and I finally got it fixed today. You are not going to believe it, but it is the lubricating fluid in your rear end ! They had to completely flush out all of the rear end lube, relocate the vent tube, add a filter, and replace the fluid with a different fluid. There is a tech bulletin on it. Now I can be proud of my burb once again.....

I know it is hard to believe, but trust me, this will fix it!

Welcome to the site

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z477/noell1947/pbr%20time/
    2004 Chevy Colorado 2wd/4l60e/3.5 Inline 5
    6-PIAA 520 series yellow ion spot lights 85 watts each
    PIAA quattro fog lights w/extreme white/yellow ion bulbs
    Anzo projector headlights/LED turn signals
    LED underbodys 7-color/LED interior lighting
    JET stage 2 performance chip/Magnaflow exhaust S/S
    Recon Big Rig Lights/LED tail lights/3rd brake light
    Putco LED bed lights/BEDRUG
    Goodmark 2" rise Cowl hood/K&N fipk intake
    98-04' Blazer overhead console & floor console