GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Sudden electrical glitch, 1983 Suburban 6.2 4x4.

Got the old girl back from having a burst transmission line repaired, and an a/c belt thrown on while they were at it. Started fine, drove home with no problem. I thought I might have smelled some faint smoke on the way home, but could not tell if it was us or another car. Got home with no problem, and then upon attempting to re-start after a while, nothing. No click, nothing. Headlights work, manual glowplug switch clicks and activates. Everything wired through the ignition switch will not energize. We seem to have full battery power. Just nothing that would be energized by turning the key.

I'm getting ready to go out and dig in, but thought I'd open the question for suggestions before I do. My first attempt will be to look at fuses. Any clues?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'd start with the easiest first. If an automatic, check the neutral safety switch. If a manual, check the clutch safety switch. Both of these can keep it from cranking. If it passes muster, have a helper hold the key in the crank position while you smack the solonoid with a hammer handle, a breaker bar or some similar tool to shock it. They sometimes stick & won't pull the starter in & you'll have no click, no activation, no nothing. If it starts cranking over with this, then it's time for a new solonoid.
    Not saying this was related to the repairs, but it could also be the #50 wire to the solonoid is loose (depending on where they were working on the trans cooler lines they could have disturbed this wire as the trans cooler lines run within a foot of the solonoid at one point).
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Thanks, Stephan.
    It turns out it was the fuseable link, which had flamed out at the old/crusty wire nutted connection to two large red wires. I stripped and re-connected the wires, and this fixed everything. The wires are pretty hot while the truck is running, but not too hot to touch. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help or advice!
    Chris.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Glad you got it fixed Chris. Too hot is a relative term Hard to say, but they are probably ok if you got them cleaned up good. The more crusty & corroded a connection gets, the more heat it generates because it causes more resistance, which in turn causes more heat & then even more resistance. It just perpetuates itself. If you got the connections nice & clean (shiny clean) they should be fine
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol