GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Poor radio reception with stock radio in 2006 Suburban

I just recently bought a 2006 Suburban LT. It has the stock radio with the 6-cd changer, the separate amp in the center console, the rear seat audio controls, the swing-down Panasonic DVD player in the ceiling, and Bose speakers in the doors. This is all well and good, except the radio gets poorer reception than what I am used to in my other vehicle. With the Suburban sitting still, some stations come in strong, while others stations that I normally listen to barely tune in at all. With the vehicle moving, all of the stations have a tendency to fade in and out; even the ones that tuned in strong sitting still. I have pulled the radio out of the dash and made sure that the antenna wire is plugged in securely. Is this typical for the stock radios, to have below average station reception; or should I try replacing the antenna or something to see if that helps? How difficult is it to replace the antenna? Can i accomplish it without having to take the dash all apart; maybe just by removing the glove compartment? Should I consider an aftermarket antenna over an OEM replacement? Any thoughts?

Sounds like a problem with the antenna, not the radio.

Maybe a poor ground at the base of the antenna, maybe a broken antenna to radio wire, maybe a damaged antenna.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)