GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission swap question, I'm stuck....

I purchased a rebuilt transmission with some heavy duty/performance goodies built in it. I got my old trans out (4l60e) and when comparing to the replacement I noticed a couple differences.

One was the bell housing on my original has a top center mount bolt and the replacement does not. The housing looks to be interchangeable.

Two was the coverter shaft appears to be different. It comes with its own coverter so fitment there shouldn't be a problem. The issue now is that the coverter bolt pattern is slightly smaller on the replacement. My flywheel looks to have two sets of holes in it. Is it possible its "universal"?

The original transmission is splined all the way to the end of the shaft but the replacement has a inch or two of smooth shaft sticking out past the end of the splines.

Here's my info:
    2000 Silverado 2wd extend cab
    5.3 liter Auto 4l60e

the replacement:
    off of a 1998, 4l60e.

I'm outta money and outta ideas at this point! Maybe I can get a flywheel for a 1998?
    Any info would help, and is greatly appreciated!

Scotty
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd-4dr ext cab
    2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 (wifey's)

:sign0073:

It is interesting to see some of these differences. I had seen discussed in many places that there were differences between the OBS and NBS 4L60e's, but I had never seen those differences spelled out.

Because of these differences, most discussion I've seen say not to swap between OBS and NBS 4L60e's. I haven't seen any discussions about what to do force an OBS 4L60e into an NBS truck. If you figure it out, be sure to post it so future swappers will know how to make them fit. If you can't find any info on making it fit, it might be easiest to trade the '98 4L60e for an NBS ('99 new body style up to ??) 4L60e.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

It sounds like you've sorted out your issues already. I believe with the later year 4L60E transmissions, the bellhousings were removable and swappable, so if your original bellhousing's still good and the mounting bolt patterns are the same, (they should be) swap 'em out. Also, if there's a set of holes in the flexplate that match up with the torque converter, you're golden. Bolt it up and rock on. Also as far as I know, other than minor fixes/improvements, the transmission internals haven't changed it well over 20 years.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Ok....what I have found was that I could use the tranny the way it was. However I would lose two bell mounting bolts.

Or I could use the original bell with the replacement tranny. However the original bell was deeper than the replacement bell. So I just used the replacement as it was. I figured the original would hold the tranny back too far for the coverter to set right on the shaft. And the top center bolt and one of the bottom bolts were nearly directly opposite each other.

Bolted up, topped it off, and tested. Works good, got it up to temp and topped off a little more and seems to be doing good.

We'll see how it does this week.
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd-4dr ext cab
    2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 (wifey's)

:sign0073:

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club. Sounds like it all worked out for you.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

glad to hear it seems to work out
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I've heard 4L60E's are all the same with many minor outward differences. I'm trying to put a 98 S-15 Blazer trans in my 98 K-1500 Pickup. Once I pulled the transfer case and adapter off, the shift arm and the cable bracket, they are identical (or so they seem). The numbers on the torque converters list them both for a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7. The bell housings are identical. One trans shop told me the guts were the same, another told me they were completely different and I would blow the trans out almost immediately. We'll see.

Got the transmission in. I've been driving the truck for 5 days now, feels good, shifts good, torque converter has a slightly higher stall speed. I think it feels better. The transmission from an S-15 Blazer with a 4.3 will definately work in a K1500 (or C1500) with a 5.0 or 5.7. How long will it last? We'll see.