GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Problems with Silverado

Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 Silverado 1500 Z71. A couple of things about the truck bother me. The check engine light, abs, and brake light are all on. I had the owner get the error codes diagnosed. Evidently the previous owner had gutted the catalytic converter, so I will need to get that replaced. How hard and expensive is it to replace this yourself? Also the ABS sensors are out so I will need to replace those as well. I know those run fairly cheap but how hard are they to replace? Also I was looking to get a leveling kit for it and was wondering what the better ones are and if it would be easier for me to do it or just get a professional to do it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcimino View Post
    Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 Silverado 1500 Z71. A couple of things about the truck bother me. The check engine light, abs, and brake light are all on. I had the owner get the error codes diagnosed. Evidently the previous owner had gutted the catalytic converter, so I will need to get that replaced. How hard and expensive is it to replace this yourself? Also the ABS sensors are out so I will need to replace those as well. I know those run fairly cheap but how hard are they to replace? Also I was looking to get a leveling kit for it and was wondering what the better ones are and if it would be easier for me to do it or just get a professional to do it. Thanks!
    To the Site........With everything you have mentioned, regarding what this Silverado is missing.....the Cat......the 02 Sensor's.....and the ABS Sensor's are out, also keep in mind that there are most likely other issues/problems with this Silverado that you have not seen yet??.....As you have mentioned.....(A couple of things about the truck bother me)......IMO you would be better off walking away from this Silverado.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Engineer

If you really want this truck badly this is what I would do. Since these are problems that you are aware of before purchasing, the owner is clearly aware of them as well. I would tell him/her that they are to foot the bill for the repair of these problems, whether they take it and have it done, or you have it done and give them the bill. If you choose the latter, make sure you get it in writing that they will pay for the repairs. Also, if they take the truck to have it repaired, make sure they give you the invoice from the shop it was done at, and insist that it is done at a shop, not by themselves or a "friend of a friend" or anything.

If they refuse this, then as mentioned above - walk away.
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Sounds like you are buying this from a young kid who ran the *hit out of this truck....

I wouldnt touch it unless you get the motor and tranny looked at.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Jr. Apprentice

Yea the person I'm buying the truck fun just finished up college, but has only owned the truck for 4 months. He traded his 2500 HD and some cash for the truck hoping he could sell the 1500 quickly. He says the owner before him was the one who had messed with the truck so much. I've test driven other trucks and this one runs the best by far. The interior and exterior of the truck are in awesome condition. If I could just get the truck for cheap enough to still repair it and be less than 10k I would be happy. I just dont think he wants to sell it for that cheap.

that sounds like a bit of major things. if you are not in california then the cats are a couple hundred each. o2 are usually around 100+ each. ABS sensors used to be real expensive not sure anymore. Also some of the ABS sensors are built into the hub (at least on mine, not sure of the 01) and the hub cost me just over 300 when I replaced mine.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member