GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by

I would never do a drive thru car wash. I enjoy every minute I spend with my truck, and washing it allows me to do that.

I wash it twice a month, wax it twice a year, and plan to polish it once a year.
    2011 Silverado, ext cab, LT, Z71, 4X4, leather interior, color matched mirror caps & bowtie.

Handwash only. I learned that the hardway.

Jr. Apprentice

I usually wash mine once a week or every other. Depends on the weather here in MI...it varies sooo much.
    Now in my driveway:
    2004 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71
    Arrival Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    sharp looking truck

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    Have been working long hours and tired and took my truck through one of the better car washes, sounded like it was going to slap the metal off the truck and left brush marks.

Handwash my truck about once a week or every other week during the spring/summer/fall, and once a month in the winter time. Nasty winters here in Ohio make it kind of pointless to wash, its just going to get gross either way
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

If you genuinely care about the appearance of your truck nothing short of a 2+ bucket hand wash will do.

The 'swirly whirly' type car washes will put all manner of swirls into the paint.

Touchless washes use aggressive detergents that strip wax protection and they never can get you completely clean.

Its a pain, but as the saying goes, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.
    use the code GMTC to save 10% storewide at www.AdamsPolishes.com

on the note of the beating $3 car washes, i used one that popped up here recently, and it sounded like a thousand towels beating up my truck. i got those wonderful swirls now... can those swirls come out? any tricks or just a hand wash? havent tried anything yet cause its snowing outside. lol but when it stops im gonna do it right.
    Crew Cab Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by 2006bowtie View Post
    on the note of the beating $3 car washes, i used one that popped up here recently, and it sounded like a thousand towels beating up my truck. i got those wonderful swirls now... can those swirls come out? any tricks or just a hand wash? havent tried anything yet cause its snowing outside. lol but when it stops im gonna do it right.
    To remove swirls you're going to have to polish... most likely by machine. Swirl marks are very fine scratches, so washing isn't going to do anything to remedy them unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan[MENTION=44367
    Adams;430464]To remove swirls you're going to have to polish... most likely by machine. Swirl marks are very fine scratches, so washing isn't going to do anything to remedy them unfortunately.
    like a buffer and compound? ill have access to one this week. some moron left a party drunk on new years and backed into my truck. getting a roll pan and the bed side fixed this week. thank you state farm my truck being white not too much shows. but it is starting to get pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2006bowtie View Post
    like a buffer and compound? ill have access to one this week. some moron left a party drunk on new years and backed into my truck. getting a roll pan and the bed side fixed this week. thank you state farm my truck being white not too much shows. but it is starting to get pretty bad.
    Yes, but typically a 'buffer' implies rotary which I wouldn't recommend you do unless you are experienced. You'll want to use a "POLISHER" with oscillates, not rotates, and is safe fro a novice to pick up, but can still get you 100% correction with the proper technique.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by