GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

ahhh okay, awesome. ive never heard it called a polisher, just a oscillating buffer. lol but good deal, ill deffinately try my luck at it this week while its in the shop. its a family friend so i get to tinker around while its there. im taking advantage of the heated garage and doing anything i can think of, the cold weather made me put off alot.
    Crew Cab Curtis

It depends.... when it is freezing out side, I go to a touch less car wash and get the $10 package. When it is warm enough, I get the pressure washer out and soap it with a foam canon (soap looks like shaving cream and sticks to the paint). Then I use a california duster soaked with soap to brush the paint to get that thin film off.

Then if I want to, I hit the polish, wax, etc with the 6.5 inch orbital polisher.

I have a gravel and dirt drive, and it's a coouple hundred feet of hose to get to where i can handwash in the pasture. So we mostly use a drive through once a month or so and pressure wash as needed.

I do both just depends on my mood last three times i hand washed and waxed.

Chevy runs deep.
    2001 Silverado ext cab 4.8l v8 2wd
    COMPLETED MODS
    40 series flowmaster dual with bowtie tips
    Anzo tail light
    Fire and ice lighted mud flaps
    2 12inch kicker comps with boston acoustic amp
    TO-DO MODS

w2w nerf bars
    Headers
    Color-matching
    Headlights
    Mega third light
    Scanning light bar under tailgate
    Fix tint
    Upgrade deck
    Remote start
    High 4 headlight kit
    Rear side window covers<bowtie>

My velocity is directly proportional to your proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan[MENTION=44367
    Adams;430593]Yes, but typically a 'buffer' implies rotary which I wouldn't recommend you do unless you are experienced. You'll want to use a "POLISHER" with oscillates, not rotates, and is safe fro a novice to pick up, but can still get you 100% correction with the proper technique.
    I picked up a 6.5 inch orbiting (oscillates) and the light polish worked great..... when it warms up and I have a full day, I am going to hit it with the next coarser polish to pull out some of the deeper scratches.

Then I use the same machine with a different pad for applying wax.

Stay away from these 9,10,and 11 inch polishers that the auto parts stores have.... or craftsman.... they will put more swirls in and create more work.

Always hand wash my truck and car only use the quarter car wash in the winter and never use those brushes.
    Mike
    99 suburban
    97 monte

Hands down hand wash all the way. The automatic washes just can't do as good as a good old hand wash. Plus it helps me to stay familiar with all the scratches on the truck if any.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Depends on how much time I have, my cobra and c10 get hand washed. Sometimes the silvy goes thru a car wash, but I'm lucky enough to have one that is touchless by my house
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

If I don't feel like doing it, I'll take it to Benny's or Oak Grove and have them do it. 12$ at Oak Grove does outside wash and wax and chrome polish (very good deal and they cut no corners) 18$ does previously mentioned+ interior. Benny's however does theirs in a touchless car wash then they do the interior but they do have free vacuums 24/7 for repeat customers. There are some black guys that do 10$ washes and its full interior and exterior detail with no corners cut and premium brand cleaning agents are used.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

I only wash my own vehicles. I'll never take them anywhere and let anyone else touch 'em.

In the winter months, when it's too cold, I'll hit a spray-n-wash, but I "NEVER" use anything but soap and then rinse and I NEVER dry it only because it doesn't get the truck clean enough and I'll only introduce new fine scratches and marring trying to dry it. I found that out the hard way years ago.

In the summer months, my cars all get the two bucket wash method, cleaned top to bottom and I use a different mitt/bucket for the wheels. I'm overly picky with all of my vehicles...and with what they cost, everyone should be in my opinion.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast