GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

I will not take my yukon xl thru a soft cloth wash. It gets scratched every time. I hand wash. If I am short on time I will go to the quarter car wash, spray it down, then use 2 buckets and a wash mitt to clean it, and then dry. The touchless wash never gets the salt off in the winter. it actually leaves clean circular patterns and the salt stays on. We used to have an indoor quarter wash called polypro. They where in a heated building, They charged for the time you spent in the building. For another $2 they would give you a bucket with 3 towels, class cleaner, wheel cleaner, armor all, and a carpet spot cleaner. They had vacuums in every booth and an air hose with a nozzle to blow water out of cracks. When you were done with your 3 towels you just take them to the booth and they gave you clean ones. We used to drive 4 trucks down there. Everyone loaded in one truck, we would go in one guy did the inside while the other guys cleaned the outside and waited. We would team dry. You could do a full clean, in and out for around $6.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

2. Likes Steve liked this post

Need to breathe some life into this thread. I'm going to start another thread about detailing. DIY or PRO?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

My truck is too tall and big, and the local car wash does a REALLY good job for $10.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

5. Likes Steve liked this post

I hand wash it or it doesn't get washed. I'd rather roll dirty than pay for some automated gas-station washer to do a crappy job.

However, my truck hasn't been washed in almost 3 years as I see no point in it until I get all the body damaged fixed.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

7. Likes Steve liked this post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	55382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	55381I hand wash when im going to slick her up good, and car wash on the fly kind of, there is a good brushless wash with great mud and bug getter gonner stuff that I will go thru that has a blow dryer, but I always polish the glass, mirrors chrome and vinyl and wheels asap after the autowash, I am just picky like that,
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

9. Likes Steve liked this post

Hand wash and diy detail only. Never had a good experience with automatic washes and I don't think therer is any value in the over priced detailing places around me.
    "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    George S. Patton

11. Likes Steve liked this post

I hand wash and detail myself. We have hard water and if I don't dry it off, I will have crusty spots which need to be waxed out.

Charlie
    XS ive1:(^^^)
    2008 Silverado Crew LTZ Southern Comfort conversion
    SoCo cat back duals
    Volant CAI
    6" Pro-Comp lift
    ARE cap with Yakima rack system (winter)
    GM Hard tri-fold tonneau (summer)
    GM rear wheel liners

XS ive2:(avatar)
    2014 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Z71 6.6 DMax/Allison
    6.5" BDS 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LineX/wheel liners/OEM tube steps/sunroof/slider/mirrors/Nav/cablights/trifold tonneau

Getting the toys to the track with a 2007 Roadmaster 7X12 V-Nose 7k tandem "Mobile Man Cave".

13. Likes Steve liked this post

99% of the time hand washing for me. I get my soap, wash mit, wheel cleaner and a shammy to dry with. Spray the whole truck down first and spray the underside quick. Spray wheel cleaner. Soap up the truck. Wash it all down. Dry it. Sometimes i polish the whole thing or i take some rubbing compound to any light acratches i see around. My paint isnt perfect since its a 95 but i get it shining good.

When winter comes i use the car wash a couple times if the salt is really bad and its gonna be nice out for at least a week. Otherwise i wont waste the money. Ill just spray it off with a hose and get underneath good. No soap just water to blast the salt off my frame. If i do go to the car wash I usually bring my drying cloth with me to dry any missed areas that the dryer didnt get afterwards. Love that thing, it just sucks all the water up and you squeeze it out.
    95 S10 LS 5 speed ext cab 2wd "work truck"
    3/3 static _ Spectre Air Filter _ Punched out cat _ Glasspack>

99 S10 Xtreme 3rd door, 5 speed 4.3 VIN W
    Hurst Short Throw Shifter _
    American Racing wheels (275/60/15; 215/70/15) _ Sub/Amp/Stereo _ TB Mod>

15. Likes Steve liked this post

Hand wash and dry, 90% of the time! I use the brushless car wash the other 10%. I hand wax 2 times a month. As a matter of fact, I will do a hand wash tomorrow, to remove dust and driveway dirt.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, SCT Programmer.

Both... wash at home as long as its warm enough... but when its cold and I'm in a pinch will go through the local touch less auto wash.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast