GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default How to tell if a Silverado has the Z71 package?

How can you find out if a truck has a Z71 Package and not just a sticker on the side. I have heard of people that buy the OEM Decal Z71 and just slap it on. How can you tell if it indeed is a Z71? Because I know there is a Z71 and a Z71 4x4
    Alan

Well every Z-71 Off road truck that I've owned has had skid plates from the front of the truck to the engine cross over, skid plates that cover the front of the transfer case, etc. They also come with gas shocks. This years 2011 comes with red & white Rancho shocks not sure about last years. I know that my 07 came with Bilstein gas shocks. That's just to name a few of the things that a Z-71 off road/4X4 comes with.
    Hope this helps.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gmcmccoy View Post
    Well every Z-71 Off road truck that I've owned has had skid plates from the front of the truck to the engine cross over, skid plates that cover the front of the transfer case, etc. They also come with gas shocks. This years 2011 comes with red & white Rancho shocks not sure about last years. I know that my 07 came with Bilstein gas shocks. That's just to name a few of the things that a Z-71 off road/4X4 comes with.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks gmcmccoy, all information helps! I'll check on that
    Alan

The only true way to check is look in the glove box at the RPO codes and look for "Z71"

________2013 4C Rated__________

Also look for larger transmission cooler and a power steering cooler and large capacity air filter box.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by Axobreil View Post
    How can you find out if a truck has a Z71 Package and not just a sticker on the side. I have heard of people that buy the OEM Decal Z71 and just slap it on. How can you tell if it indeed is a Z71? Because I know there is a Z71 and a Z71 4x4
    As mentioned by Ajarman, look for the Z-71 inside your Glove Box.....Also Keep in mind that G.M./Chevy has......2.....Z-71 Packages, the First One is the Off-Road Suspension Package and the Second is the Z-71 Appearance Package.....Below is Each Package and the Features that they come with,

Z-71 Off-Road Suspension Package

Whether you're maneuvering around a construction site or heading for some mud-slinging, off-road recreation, the legendary Z71® Off-Road Package lets your Silverado® take it in stride. It includes 46mm high-pressure gas-charged shocks, a 36mm front stabilizer bar and off-road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs. When you're really into the deep stuff, the included Skid Plate Package is there to protect the truck undercarriage from rocks and debris. This package also includes an off-road air cleaner. front recovery hooks and Z71 DECALS on the rear quarter panels let everyone know your pickup is up to the challenge.

Z-71 Appearance Package

The Z71® Appearance Package, available on Extended Cab Standard Box and Crew Cab™ Short
    Box models, includes body-color front bumper lower and center sections with body-color end
    caps, a body-color grille with chrome insert, UNIQUE Z71 DECALS, bright door sill plates, chrome recovery
    hooks, body-color outside mirrors and door handles and fog lamps. 18" aluminum
    wheels and 18" tires and front and rear Rancho® shocks raise the Z71 performance level even higher.

On LT models, requires Extended or Crew Cab models, Trailering Package and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior color Imperial Blue Metallic or Steel Green Metallic.
    On LTZ models, requires Extended or Crew Cab models and Z71 Off-Road Suspension Package. Tires may be upgraded to on-off road tires. Not available with exterior color Imperial Blue Metallic or Steel Green Metallic.

In order to choose this feature, you also need to add: Z71® Off-Road Suspension Package18" x 8" aluminum wheelsOn-/off-road blackwall tires -Air cleaner, high-capacity -Recovery hooks,
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 03-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

I looked underneath the truck and it does indeed have all of the skid plates. However, I opened the glove box, well, it has two actually one on top and one on the bottom, the bottom one has two decals that have GM info but I could not find Z71 anywhere, just a bunch of number codes and digits. Also on the steering wheel area, it has the whole M gear that goes all the way up to 6. Is that another Z71 characteristic?
    Alan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My truck 009.jpg 
Views:	6861 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	28531Not all Z71's are 4wd, mine is a Z71, and it is a 2wd, from my understanding and I may be wrong, if the decal has off road or 4x4 in it then the truck is 4wd, if the decal doesn't then the truck is 2wd, atleast that is what I read somewhere, and what my local dealer said, I know the Colorado/Canyons are this way. I would assume that GM did the same with the fullsize.

First off.....what year is your Truck and is it a....2wd or 4wd??

I looked underneath the truck and it does indeed have all of the skid plates. However, I opened the glove box, well, it has two actually one on top and one on the bottom, the bottom one has two decals that have GM info but I could not find Z71 anywhere, just a bunch of number codes and digits. Also on the steering wheel area, it has the whole M gear that goes all the way up to 6. Is that another Z71 characteristic?
    Did you look at my reply above #6.....it shows Features for both....Z71 Packages??....Off-Road Suspension and Appearance Package.....and that is the RPO Code to Look For....Z71

In-Side your Glove Box, is a White Sticker "Tag" that is the
    Service Parts I.D. Tag, and on it is your Trucks Vin # Number and a Series of Letters and Number's....Those are RPO Code's which Stands for Regular Production Options.....These RPO Codes, tell you what Engine, Transmission, Gears and other Features your Truck came with from the Factory,

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-17-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Hey Guys,

Here are the details

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    6.6 L V8 Turbo Diesel Duramax w/ the Automatic 6 Speed Allison
    2WD w/ the Z71 Package
    LT Crew Cab