GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Did the ride get any rougher when you'r not towing? I would like to add helper bags onto my truck, but I don't want to get a rougher ride when I'm not towing. I also wonder if I can just use the regulator and use an existing compressor I hope to have by then on the truck. I'm trying to just run one air system on the truck (probably around 125PSI if I can pull it off) with a decent sized tank and reg all the output lines as neccesary for everything...
    Actually the ride seemed to improve. It is a little more stiff, but it's not unbearable. My wife actually likes having the air in the springs, because it seemed to make the over all ride quality better.
    I just get a kick out of pumping up the springs to about 35-40psi, and seeing the rake of the truck increase about 2-3 inches.

Air lift recommends not pumping the springs up more than 45psi (I think). If you're thinking about running upwards of 125psi, you're going to have one very stiff ride. It's going to feel like the flintstones car with rock tires. If you run over a pebble in the road, you're gonna feel it.

You could certainly just buy the springs, and run your own compressor, and regulator if you wanted. In fact the air spring kit comes with everything you need to setup the springs with an air stem that you can mount on the bumper for instance, and fill it from your home compressor, or a service station.

If you need to get the kind that fit inside the coil springs, then you need to monitor the air pressure. If it drops below 5psi, the bags chafe against the coils, and can wear a hole in them. To avoid this Air-lift sells a compressor with a switch that kicks in automatically when the pressure drops below 5psi. I didn't get the compressor kit with the switch so we need to watch the pressure. If I had known this before I bought the compressor I would have gotten the one with the switch, instead of being cheap, and not understanding the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    This is something I will end up doing to my Silverado to increase tow capacity (or ride comfort and leveling while loaded) in the near future. Some day I may even ditch the hitch and go with a 5th wheel setup. My friend started his own transportation business with a hot shot trailer and a Silverado with a Duramax. I will just do it for recreational purposes. He installed airbags on his as well and tell me they are the shiznit!

Thanks for the step-by-step Patrick!
    I would think you'll have an easier time than I did, if you got helper springs, since you don't need to drop the axle.
    I would personally love to go with these for my suburban "Road Tamer", and lose the leaf springs.

Fifth wheel setup is a dream!
    You have so much more control over a trailer with a fifth wheel. Not to mention you can see from the cab if you're inline with the trailer when hooking up. Not much need for a guide.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Air lift recommends not pumping the springs up more than 45psi (I think). If you're thinking about running upwards of 125psi, you're going to have one very stiff ride. It's going to feel like the flintstones car with rock tires. If you run over a pebble in the road, you're gonna feel it.
    I had every intention of regulating it down to the factory recommended air pressure. I'd just rather have one nice air system than have several little small ones. If all plans go well, with 125 PSI and a sufficient air tank, I could actually operate impact wrenches or other tools on the side of the road to change my tire...no tire iron wooo

I would think you'll have an easier time than I did, if you got helper springs, since you don't need to drop the axle.
    I would personally love to go with these for my suburban "Road Tamer", and lose the leaf springs.
    I initially wanted to do that, but then I couldn't lift the truck, and I also don't want to think about how I would get the truck home if I blew a bag or a line. You can't exactly limp a blown bag home unless you had a tandem axle like the 18-wheelers do.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Awesome! Great project.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Sr. Apprentice

Default Avalanche Air spring installation

Yeh, nicely done project Patrick. I do not believe I will have a need to do this in the near future but will keep it in mind. My boat is not heavy enough to bother the suspension on my 89 K2500, even though it is heavy enough to bother the tranny.
    ANyhow, great job. I just wnat to tell you though I am a little concerned about the rust I see under your truck - especially for a 2002. I am from CT originally so I understand salt, but geez,you have some pretty good rust.
    Paul M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I had every intention of regulating it down to the factory recommended air pressure. I'd just rather have one nice air system than have several little small ones. If all plans go well, with 125 PSI and a sufficient air tank, I could actually operate impact wrenches or other tools on the side of the road to change my tire...no tire iron wooo

I initially wanted to do that, but then I couldn't lift the truck, and I also don't want to think about how I would get the truck home if I blew a bag or a line. You can't exactly limp a blown bag home unless you had a tandem axle like the 18-wheelers do.
    That would be insanly awesome! Carrying your own air with you to run your impact wrenched!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
    ANyhow, great job. I just want to tell you though I am a little concerned about the rust I see under your truck - especially for a 2002. I am from CT originally so I understand salt, but geez,you have some pretty good rust.
    Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled about seeing that when I crawled under there. I don't remember seeing that much rust when we bought the truck two years ago. Not sure what happened there.

I'd love to be able to get it blasted, and then undercoated, but since it's the wife's daily driver it's tough to get my hands on for very long.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12