GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up poor man's / paranoid man's headlight/foglight upgrade mod

I went with the poor man's option because I didn't want to modify wiring, etc., and wanted something street legal that plugged right into the existing harnesses and lens housings. I started with silverstar ultras but quickly became annoyed with how they burn out so fast. More recently I tried the new solux bulbs in low-beam, high-beam and fogs. I will say that if you're looking for that harsh white/blue color, these probably are not for you. Solux's claim is that they duplicate natural daylight better than any other bulb and I'd actually agree that that is the exact color they are - they list it at 4600k. I really like them a lot and notice they are much better than standards. Now, their last claim is that they last as long as standard halogens and 2x-4x times longer than silverstar ultras. I've got the invoice in my glovebox and will watch.
    First Time Caller, Long Time Listener, Great Topic...Love The Show
    :lol:

I like the bright white but not the blue (which is why my wifes HIDs are 5000k instead of 6000k) might look into these as I blind people enough with my lights so I dont want to do HIDs but something a little brighter might be nice.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up

Great info, thanks.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

ok call me retarded, but where did you find the bulbs at (online, local auto parts store). did a quick search and didnt really find them for the truck.

thanks for the tip, lol (I was just going to buy silverstar ultras next week, :P) i heard a rumor that luminics makes a great auto bulb, and in various colors and kelvin ratings. thinking of getting a pair of yellow fogs, and pure blue lows and highs, and all of the harnesses, for only $120. cant beat that.

Jon
    Jonathan L. Tiffany
    2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH
    Sport Red Metallic, Dark Charcoal
    04/01/2011

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    ok call me retarded, but where did you find the bulbs at (online, local auto parts store). did a quick search and didnt really find them for the truck.
    LOL - you crack me up! Here's the product info where I found them and then you just punch in your make, model and year for specific bulbs.

Again, did a lot of nighttime country driving this weekend and really like them a lot.

thanks. I'm gonna have to look into those for replacements

Red face

No problemo my brother!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff618 View Post
    I went with the poor man's option because I didn't want to modify wiring, etc., and wanted something street legal that plugged right into the existing harnesses and lens housings. I started with silverstar ultras but quickly became annoyed with how they burn out so fast. More recently I tried the new solux bulbs in low-beam, high-beam and fogs. I will say that if you're looking for that harsh white/blue color, these probably are not for you. Solux's claim is that they duplicate natural daylight better than any other bulb and I'd actually agree that that is the exact color they are - they list it at 4600k. I really like them a lot and notice they are much better than standards. Now, their last claim is that they last as long as standard halogens and 2x-4x times longer than silverstar ultras. I've got the invoice in my glovebox and will watch.
    Look into these. I have them on my 2011 3500HD and they work great. They are 5500K and put a lot of light on the road.

http://www.buyheadlightbulbs.com/Lum...p/lkt-h10f.htm
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    Look into these. I have them on my 2011 3500HD and they work great. They are 5500K and put a lot of light on the road.
    They look cool but seriously I'm really happy with my choice mentioned above. I'm not impressing the tuner-guys with white/blue light, but I can see way better, yet not ticking off other drivers or getting too much of the police's attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast