GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: tire wear

Default tire wear

Hey guys,
    Im planning on getting new tires by the end of next week and i need some critical help...
    My current tires wore horribly in the front obviously from a bad alignment, and my truck had been aligned probably about 3 times over the life of them but never seemed to really stay aligned i guess...
    I would like to fix everything and anything that can contribute to the front end and affect tire wear and how the vehicle rides also...
    Is there anything you recommend so i can get the maximum lifetime out of a new set of tires???

tie rods?
    control arm bushings?
    cam bolt kit?

let me know if any of that would even help.... or anything else that would be a good investment
    please suggestions are much appreciated thanks
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Inner and outer tie rod ends, upper and lower balljoints, idler arm, if worn will affect tire wear and alignment.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Definately sounds like worn suspension parts. A good alignment place should have checked before the alignment as you cant get an accurate alignment if the parts are worn too bad. Here is a link to a post where I describe how the check it all (if you dont know how). That way you only replace whats needed.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Boots-Ruptured
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

my shocks should be good though, the inside scoop is i totaled this truck, bent the frame, (due to the ABS sensor recall that was on my truck, but i didnt find out about the recall till wayy after!) in 2007 and i had it rebuilt to full specs by my uncle who is a certified mechanic and it was back to normal shape. well everything was perfect about it still and then i decided to put the leveling kit on and about a year later the 3" fabtech spindle lift kit. Once we put the new spindles in we noticed my truck wasnt sitting level... we took the spindles back off, measured, measured, and measured. nothing was different between the 2, just all of a sudden my truck leaned a little to the left, it came with new shocks all around as well and blocks for the rear. so we measured parts for the rest of the weekend and never found a difference in any part, other than the distance between the left and right front fender well and the ground with was about one whole inch different, after all was done we took it to get aligned but they wouldnt align it due to it sitting unlevel. i dont remember much after that just more measuring and never figuring it out but i do know it got aligned eventually and was realigned once or twice in the few years to come but would never stay aligned i always still had tire pull even right after an alignment... still to this day I notice that it does not sit level...
    im sure that contributes to the tire wear as well... still open for suggestions
    and thanks for your help guys!