GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Driver's Door Electronic Lock Actuator 2003 Grand Prix GT

I bought this car new in April 2003, it's always garaged, rarely sees rain, and only has 32,000+ miles to date.
    She's absolutely like new, and You'd be hard pressed to find another in this condition....near mint, inside and out.

Every so often the lock actuator on the driver's door fails to function with the electronic door or key FOB controls.

This issue has been ongoing since the car was 2-1/2 years old.
    I took the car to the dealer some 3 times for this issue, and they could not replicate the problem...always seemed to work fine for them.

About 3 years ago at the urging of a friend who's a GM mechanic, I checked all the wiring and switches (4 doors) for proper connections/shorts etc, plus, I ordered and installed a new GM actuator, yet the issue continues to this very day.

It's an intermittent problem and sometimes the locks work great for days, then suddenly, the issue crops up again.

Here's a fly in the ointment: sometimes the actuator refuses to lock the car using the master door control or the key FOB, but if the car is started (with the doors closed) and put in gear, the actuator will lock down all 4 doors....then other times, the other 3 doors lock down and the driver's door won't.

Sometimes the actuator can be persuaded to work by repeatedly rocking the master lock switch, other times, it's no go.
    Any input, GM folks???
    "I Hate When That Happens!"

Quote Originally Posted by Psyc0 View Post
    I bought this car new in April 2003, it's always garaged, rarely sees rain, and only has 32,000+ miles to date.
    She's absolutely like new, and You'd be hard pressed to find another in this condition....near mint, inside and out.

Every so often the lock actuator on the driver's door fails to function with the electronic door or key FOB controls.

This issue has been ongoing since the car was 2-1/2 years old.
    I took the car to the dealer some 3 times for this issue, and they could not replicate the problem...always seemed to work fine for them.

About 3 years ago at the urging of a friend who's a GM mechanic, I checked all the wiring and switches (4 doors) for proper connections/shorts etc, plus, I ordered and installed a new GM actuator, yet the issue continues to this very day.

It's an intermittent problem and sometimes the locks work great for days, then suddenly, the issue crops up again.

Here's a fly in the ointment: sometimes the actuator refuses to lock the car using the master door control or the key FOB, but if the car is started (with the doors closed) and put in gear, the actuator will lock down all 4 doors....then other times, the other 3 doors lock down and the driver's door won't.

Sometimes the actuator can be persuaded to work by repeatedly rocking the master lock switch, other times, it's no go.
    Any input, GM folks???
    Your not going to get a technical fix in this forum. Your going to get the blanket answer of " give me your vehicle details and I will look in to it"'. You may want to post this under the "Audio/Video/Electrical" or the "Chevy car forum" forum to see if someone has a solution for you.

If you have replaced the actuator , i would maybe explore the switch. The actuator you bought had a one year warranty and I would have taken it back to see if maybe it was bad.

I have replaced 3 of the 4 actuators on my 2008 Sierra, and the part for your car looks identical to mine!

Who replaced it last time, maybe it didnt get replaced? Sometimes the rod that runs up and sticks up out of the top of the door for the lock(has that plastic do-hickey on the end of it) gets bent and hangs up inside the door also.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/po...-lock-actuator

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/34739-Door-lock-problem-solved-laaaame

I had the same symptoms on my drivers door and i replaced the actuator which resolved the problem.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Did you have a case with customer assistance regarding your concern? Do you have a case number? I can also look into this issue further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage, I will be able to take further steps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Switch works fine....all the other 3 doors engage, and I replaced the acutator with new, so I know it was replaced.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Did you have a case with customer assistance regarding your concern? Do you have a case number? I can also look into this issue further. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage, I will be able to take further steps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Problem is........they couldn't replicate the issue, and kicked the car out the door without any paperwork evry time I brought it to them.
    This late in the game, I really cannot believe they'd repair the lock issue.
    Where to send the info?

BTW: two different dealers did the same thing with My Chevy Suburban when I kept getting a check engine light.
    Turn the trouble light off before the vehicle enters the shop, and away it goes.

Switch works fine....all the other 3 doors engage, and I replaced the acutator with new, so I know it was replaced.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Problem is........they couldn't replicate the issue, and kicked the car out the door without any paperwork evry time I brought it to them.
    Where to send the info?

BTW: two different dealers did the same thing with My Chevy Suburban when I kept getting a check engine light.
    Turn the trouble light off before the vehicle enters the shop, and away it goes.
    You need to check the voltage at the switch.....problems like this you have to check everything - sometimes twice. The front door actuators should be the same - take the passenger one and install it on the drivers door and see if the problem goes away to rule out the accuator.

There is a transmitter that sends the signal to the door locks from the FOB that could be bad...but I would think it would affect all the doors. My guess is its something simple that is getting overlooked.

Where to send the info?

You can contact me via private message or email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to address the email to Tricia. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    You need to check the voltage at the switch.....problems like this you have to check everything - sometimes twice. The front door actuators should be the same - take the passenger one and install it on the drivers door and see if the problem goes away to rule out the accuator.

There is a transmitter that sends the signal to the door locks from the FOB that could be bad...but I would think it would affect all the doors. My guess is its something simple that is getting overlooked.
    My thoughts; the transmitter may be the culprit. Thks!

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    You can contact me via private message or email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to address the email to Tricia. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

OK, TY!
    Will contact You soon.