GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Small diesel in 1500

Is there somme news about the possibility of a small Duramax in silverado and siera 1500 and Suburban and Tahoe?
    Cummins announced that they made small V8 and V6 diesel motors for ram 1500 and possibly Durango and they are supposed to come as soon then December.
    Last edited by Gatito; 07-13-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typing error

Glad to hear more diesels are possibly coming to light duty trucks. Do you have a link to the article where cummins announced this?

Back in 08 dodge said they were releasing a 5.0L cummins for light duty trucks, but canceled it in 09.

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

Legend
    Blog Entries

Chevy has no plans and Ford doesnt either... Ford was supposed to be coming out with a 4.6L Powerstroke but scrapped it and went with the eco boost motors. and i know GM had plans before they went into bankruptcy.. Heck right now GM isnt even looking to update the NNBS till 2014.... GM needs to get with the program and do updates more than every 10 years.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

GM had prototypes in testing of a smaller, GM designed Duramax, but when the economy went south, so did that program. It's a shame, it looked very promising too. I'd have certainly considered that a popular option that people would have likely coughed up the cash for too.

Who knows, maybe someday they'll surprise us and bring it to market..... hint, hint, hint!

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    .. GM needs to get with the program and do updates more than every 10 years.
    Disagree. 73-87 was a decent run, as well as GMT400 88-98/00
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Disagree. 73-87 was a decent run, as well as GMT400 88-98/00
    I was more refering to powertrains.. The motors they have are good and very reliable. i was talking they need to add more fuel efficent powertrains with the same power if not more, to keep up. the main reason i dont want a new one (other than the payment) is i want a small diesel that gets the milage and can pull.. I do not disagree that they have made good trucks that have lasted or that they can leave the styling alone..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sr. Apprentice

I am a diesel fan but frankly I can see why they are not pursuing this:
    -EPA
    -Diesel fuel costs
    -Cost for production of diesel motor
    -Heavier duty tranny and drive line components = extra cost.

Jr. Apprentice

I am back from Europe.
    Its a shame they dont get small diesel motors from there to put them in our vehicles.
    They are so efficient ansd so pleasant to drive because of the torque they have.
    I had a small renault car with a 1.5 liter diesel turbo ant it took 20 litres to do 600 kms in the Alpes!!!!
    I took a look to small trucks there. They are realy for the job, without frills we like here, and the powertrains are realy small but efficients.
    Bye

In America we got hooked on big horsepower, especially in our trucks.
    Look at the current crop of 3/4 ton and heavier Diesel trucks every one of the manufacturers is fighting for top HP ratings.
    With fuel price trends the way they have been the last few years I think the markets right for a 1/2 ton truck with a slightly smaller diesel, Europe and other parts of the world have shown these engines can return favorable fuel mileage and while they may not be the powerhouse engines we like they do get the job done, sometimes a little slower but I think companies running fleets of light duty trucks would be glad for the fuel savings if you could keep the initial purchase price reasonable enough to see some of the savings coming back within a reasonable amount of time.
    In the end it's all gonna come down to whether the purchase price can be set at a decent amount.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Right about usa BEING hp/torque CRAZY.
    Heck HUGE 18 wheelers tractors have jusy 500-600 hp and they move 80,000 lbs UPHILL!!
    You don't need 400 hp and 700 lbs ft in a truck that has an all up weight of 7000 lbs most of the time-and no more than 20,000 lbs at any time.

The Dodge Sprinter-a MB van- had just 5 cyl 2.7 liters 150 hp TD-and it was adequate- probably had 250 lbs ft.
    oF course it was a Euro spec vehicle-sorta narrow width for those narrow Euro streets.

The problem with TDs IS COST- they are expensive to build,and diesel is 15% more expensive that gasoline.
    Considering how FE the various V-8's are now-14/22 or so- I don't picture GM offering a small TD- it would add maybe $3500 or more to the MSRP-get maybe 17/25??? Subtract the diesel fuel premium-and there just isn't any point in it.

Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast