GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Leaves me scratching my head...

Let me start this off by saying that I am not electrial savy in the least, and here's my problem...In the spring I ran into an issue where I tried to start my truck, completely dead. (I put a brand new optima yellow top in the winter) After about 20 minutes of trying to jump start, it finally kicked over and away I went, only the entire trip when I approache a stop sign/ red light, the amps would decrease and I could feel the truck starting to shut down and rattle, so I'd have to put it in neutral and keep the rpm's up to avoid stalling, then shift back to drive and take off. That was a one time occurance, but on and off again I've experienced similiair problems where it will be at a low idle and stall out, then I turn the key again and runs fine. This may not be an electrical issue I've been told, though the person who told me that didn't have any rational what it could be in turn. Also, my radio clock resets to 12:00 every time I shut off/turn back on... not sure if it's connected to the other problem at all. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...trying to figure this out before the winter comes and I'm s.o.l when it comes time to plow...
    Semper Fi

Default head scratcher...

Here's my problem...In the spring I ran into an issue where I tried to start my truck, completely dead. (I put a brand new optima yellow top in the winter) After about 20 minutes of trying to jump start, it finally kicked over and away I went, only the entire trip when I approache a stop sign/ red light, the amps would decrease and I could feel the truck starting to shut down and rattle, so I'd have to put it in neutral and keep the rpm's up to avoid stalling, then shift back to drive and take off. That was a one time occurance, but on and off again I've experienced similiair problems where it will be at a low idle and stall out, then I turn the key again and runs fine. Sometimes I go start and the ignition will click three or four times and start up, even after been running for an hour and only have been shut off for a matter of minutes. Also, my radio clock resets to 12:00 every time I shut off/turn back on... not sure if it's connected to the other problem at all. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...trying to figure this out before the winter comes and I'm s.o.l when it comes time to plow...
    Semper Fi

Jr. Mechanic

Im not sure if this is your solution, but I do know from installing enough sound systems in vehicles that the only time the clock resets itselfis when the battery is disconnected. Meaning you may want to check and see that all connections are tightly secured to the battery. If there isnt anything wrong there you may want to check the ground on your battery, its possible that the connection to the frame has been covered with grime to the point its not staying grounded to complete the circuit. Other than those few things I cant think of anything else at the moment. Good Luck.
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lquattro04 View Post
    Im not sure if this is your solution, but I do know from installing enough sound systems in vehicles that the only time the clock resets itselfis when the battery is disconnected. Meaning you may want to check and see that all connections are tightly secured to the battery. If there isnt anything wrong there you may want to check the ground on your battery, its possible that the connection to the frame has been covered with grime to the point its not staying grounded to complete the circuit. Other than those few things I cant think of anything else at the moment. Good Luck.
    Yep you will want to check all of your cables and connections. The ones to the frame are usually the first to go, there is also a chance that the pos cable to the Alternator is shot. And since it sounds like your using the truck for plowing you may have an issue with the alternator starting to go bad, where it isnt putting enough amps into the battery but still making enough voltage to not throw any red flags.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Also with the radio resetting.. there is chance that the bat back up for the radio has a bad fuse. (im not sure which one it is since it has been a while since ive looked at a GM manual)
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Usually when the clock radio resets its because the battery is low. GM has this programmed into the trucks computer along with shutting down a few other electronics so they don't drain the battery when the battery is low. Have you had the new Optima checked?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

**threads merged** please only one thread per tech problem. thanks
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"