GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Mechanic

not trying to take sides on the tire debate, but 70- 80 psi is acceptable if the weight in your truck justifies it.. michelins that are e rated max psi is 80... You need a lot of weight but regular driving I have noticed on my dodge diesel unloaded I would run around 40 psi but when I had my trailer on the rears needed just over 60psi and fronts bumped up to 50 ish.... there is a really easy way to know exactly what pressures you need loaded and unloaded.... you need a parking lot or dead end street and some chalk... do it loaded and unloaded then write it down on a sticker and put it on your driver's door edge so you don't have to keep remembering just look... http://www.nitrogentiremachine.com/p..._inflation.htm if you don't know the chalk method, not perfect, but overall a great start that will get you pretty close to what the truck needs either loaded or unloaded.... (on a side note this method I went almost 91,000 on a lifted jeep cherokee on a set of 33 inch bf goodrich a/t's with 26 psi in front and 24 rear I thought it was way too low but the tires were great at that pressure over many years and got rid of them due to weather cracking)).
    I don't know if this helps, but this is what I do and I am also very anal about tires and it works well enough for whaat I need....... btw I run the michelin ltx m/s2 on my 1500 suburban and absolutly love them, but not e rated I like them for the comfort in the "family cruiser" and man are they quiet....

2. Likes Premixyz liked this post

Same problem with Michelin ATX M/S2 tire size 265-75-16
    Same exact tire; same exact problem but 2 years later. The handling is ok at lower speeds but over 60mph my 3500 van drives like I am fighting the wind. I run the recommended PSI (80 rear and 60 front) in my vehicle and never had a problem with my earlier Michelins (ATX M/S). Not sure if anyone checks this link being 2 years old but I would like to know if Premixyz ever figured it out or if other people had or have problems.

Have you gotten an alignment? I always get and alignment when I put new sneakers on my vehicles. I had one set of new tires... perelli scorpions that when initially installed was like driving on ice... had to drop tire pressure until the glaze was scuffed off and broke in a little.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing... double check the torque on you lug nuts... loose lug nuts will cause those handling issues.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing... double check and re-torque your lug nuts. Improperly torqued lug nuts will cause bad handling issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Having problems posting so if this is a repeat I apologize... check your lug nut torques... I've had similar issues with loose improperly torqued wheels.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Sorry for the much delayed response.

1. My truck had a fresh alignment when I put these tires on.
    2. The truck now has 75,000 miles and runs / rides like a champ.
    3. What I found with these tires is that they are rather picky when it comes to air pressure. It is not a daily driver (2005 with 75,000 miles) so it took me a while to sort out. With a full load of wood, or hauling the toy hauler everything is great, when I am empty I need to make slight adjustments to the air pressure or the truck basically becomes undrivable. My reference point might be a little skewed because the other two cars I drive handle and ride pretty well (one small sports car made on an island too our west and runs on rice and one small coupe that runs on sauerkraut). I spent a few days changing pressure by 4lb increments (one day front one day back) until I found a balance that works pretty well. If someone is interested in the actual numbers I would need to check at home tonight and post. My guess is about 70/70.

Thanks for the response. I am going to try the air pressure and see if that helps. I would appreciate it if you could check your pressure. Not that I would expect to end up in the same place, but it gives me a target. You are the only other person that I am aware of that has had this problem. I report back with my findings.

- - - Updated - - -

First, I apologize for not responding quickly. My computer died and had to get a new one. Thanks for your reply. I did have an alignment and did verify that the torques were correct. I will try decreasing the air pressure as described by Premixyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman07 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I am going to try the air pressure and see if that helps. I would appreciate it if you could check your pressure. Not that I would expect to end up in the same place, but it gives me a target. You are the only other person that I am aware of that has had this problem. I report back with my findings.

- - - Updated - - -

First, I apologize for not responding quickly. My computer died and had to get a new one. Thanks for your reply. I did have an alignment and did verify that the torques were correct. I will try decreasing the air pressure as described by Premixyz.

Just so happens that I am towing this week, so I just did air in my tires - my truck again is the 1500HD - Same as a 2500 frame, weight, drive train. 6l gasser.
    6,000# empty. Front is 70psi and rear is 66psi (empty truck) and remember I have the E rated tires! Dont try this in the D rated tires - When I have the trailer connected and am putting weight on the truck I set the cold air pressure in the back to 80psi and front at 75psi. Air temp will make the air pressure change by about 5psi. It was 85deg out when I filled them last night and 50 this morning which caused them to drop evenly 5psi all around.
    Another note, after I aired the tires tup to 80/75 I had to go get gas - wow, the truck felt like it was in the wind storm again

-- since nobody on here knows me I will also let you know what my background is --
    Trucks = little experience, I have owned three 1500 chevys but am not really a "truck guy"
    ..kinda redneck, grew up in Western NY - drove trucks and tractors and other utility vehicles since I was 10
    .. more into sports cars, track days and auto cross....the truck is a tool, not really a toy.
    45 years old
    Engineer (electrical by schooling, Systems Engineer in practice)
    I would never claim to know more or even as much about this **** as other people on this site, just adding my two cents in and hoping I can help someone.

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12