GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Auto Climate Control and Engine Power

How much of a power drain should I notice on a 2010 with 5.3L engine when I have the climate control on? When the AC is on, I notice when the AFM kicks in, and accelerating seems to take a MUCH greater effort than when the AC is off. Comparing this to my experience in another vehicle, I recently drove a coworker's Saturn Sky with a turbocharged 2.0L engine. The AC was on full blast, but I never notice any apparent power drain on the engine (and I never accelerated hard enough for the turbo to kick in).
    Lane - Oklahoma
    2010 Chevrorlet Silverado LT Ext Cab 2wd
    - Volant CAI, Westin Steps, WeatherTech Vent Shades, Bug Shield, and Mud Flaps, Bullet Liner, Slimline Truck Cover
    2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP

I would be happy to look into this further for you. In order to do more research, I will need your VIN. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

As far as I am concerned, there is always some power loss when running anything on a vehicle. Most of the time it's negligable, but even if you park your truck on a dark night and turn your lights on pointed at a building, then roll-up your windows and keep going with the switch even after they are all up ... you will notice the lights dim down a big as the electric motors are taking energy to keep the windows going up.

So the question is, how much more when running AC? We know that it does take away a significant MPG factor of at least 1 or 2%, so I assume it must also take away from the performance.

Those are just my thoughts, anyone else agree or disagree?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I dont notice it on my truck but on my 99 saturn SC1 with 100hp I do. If i need to accelerate the AC has to be off or it is just a dog (not very quick with it off but a huge difference) I would think that it shouldnt cause that much drag on the V8. usually a HP ratio thing. should be plenty of hp in the 5.3 to combat the couple of hp draw.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

The HP loss isn't dramatic; if anything you're losing 5 lbs of torque because torque is what you notice as you're accelerating. It could be as much as 15 lbs of torque depending on the humidity, temperature outside and the terrain you're traveling on.

The A/C does kick off when you're accelerating at full throttle, if you maintain a long enough time at full throttle you'll notice it gets a little warmer, it's not only your blood pumping, but it's because the computer turns off the A/C pulley to make sure nothing gets overspun and damaged.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

That could be part of the explanation... It's been quite hot here lately. The temperatures have been topping out at 100 to 110 over the last 2 weeks. The humidity, I believe, has been around 40%. Of course, I could have gotten some bad gas, too. The last two tanks, my MPG has been roughly 10% lower than the prior 3 months average. Guess I need to make sure Murphy's isn't selling the ethanol blend before I fill up there again.
    Lane - Oklahoma
    2010 Chevrorlet Silverado LT Ext Cab 2wd
    - Volant CAI, Westin Steps, WeatherTech Vent Shades, Bug Shield, and Mud Flaps, Bullet Liner, Slimline Truck Cover
    2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP