GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Washing Engine

Default Washing Engine

I am not satisfied with how well the engine has been cleaned from the car dealer I bought it from. It is a 2005 GMC Sierra and has the 5.3L engine it, can I safely powerwash the engine without causing problems with the ignition, spark plugs, wires, etc?
    2005 GMC Sierra
    Quad Cab5.3L
    Sport Red

If everything is in control, you are going to slow - Mario Andretti

Sr. Apprentice
    Blog Entries

I have washed the engines on all vehicles I have owned with no problems. You should be careful not to spray directly on the alternator, plugs and electrical connections. Some guys go as far as putting plastic wrap on some of the stuff, but I never have. Depending on how dirty your engine is you may want to spray it with GUNK engine cleaner (or similar) before you wash it. Also you should be careful of super high pressure washers. When in doubt, put some distance between the end of the sprayer and your engine. Your '05 should not be too greasy yet so you shouldn't have too much of a job on your hands. Once washed, I always let it run for a while and then apply some tire treatment to the hoses and rubber parts. I spray the parts that are easy to get to and then take a rag to make sure I get good coverage. About once a year, I also wax the bits that are painted under the hood like the fender wells and firewall where I can reach it as well as the hood supports etc. It never hurts to have a little protection in this area when the winter salt comes knocking. Have fun.

Joe
    2003 Suburban
    1968 Camaro 454

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw something up, it's not real dirty, just not as clean as I think it should be.

Ive had, and have heard of others, having problems with the knock sensors getting wet and fouled up. You can google it. But im not sure what the way to prevent it would be. Just know that after I power washed my engine, the check engine light came on and threw the knock sensor codes. Googled it and found it had happened to others.

Clifton, aka Clif, aka Jones, aka by all as dumbass

2002 Chevy 1500, 4.8L, 4X4 (Work/Play truck, Mods soon)

1977 chevy 3/4 ton pickup (the "Grey Ghost"-Grandpas old ride)

1992 Mustang 5.0 (parts bought, just need install)

2008 Kia Optima (bleh. Fiances car. It does nothing special)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I use Simple Green (Or p-21 Motorcycle cleaner if you can find it) And some brushes around everything then the Garden hose to get the rest off..

Works well...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X