GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AC Question

You might have a bad ground wire going out from the compressor.

Could be a defective relay, or a burned plug or switch some where in the circuit, when you go directly from the battery to the clutch you are bypassing the entire control circuit, and since the fuse blows your going to have to start looking at all the componets in the control circuit.

Jr. Apprentice

On the fuse panel in the engine, I swapped the relay with another that is in there. They are identical by the part numbers, and it does the same thing. One thing that we are stumped about is that the plug that goes from the harness to the compressor. The harness side has 12.8ish volts on it. When we plug it in, shouldn't the compressor be powered?

On the low pressure switch plug, why would it blow the fuse when I bridge it? It should activate the compressor when I jump it, correct?

The compressor is about 3 or 4 years old. There was never any electrical problems with the system. It was sitting for about six months when the intake gasket blew. I just replaced the intake gasket and was welcomed by a few other issuses.

I have the repair book for the Suburban. Does anyone have a schematic of the AC system electrical, or a link to it?

Thanks.

Legend
    Blog Entries

If your comp harness has 12 V & a ground, then yes it should engage the comp clutch when you plug it in. Before, when you said you jumped your comp. clutch directly to the battery, did you also supply a ground to the clutch? I'm thinking either you don't have a ground at the clutch harness, OR your comp. clutch may need more than 10 amps to engage it. Hooking it directly to the batt like you did before would have supplied maximum amprege to engage it, but the control system is protected by a 10 amp fuse.
    I have 2 wiring diagrams, one for the system that has a separate compressor relay (not to be confused with the AC/Heater blower motor relay) & another diagram that is for the one that doesn't use the compressor relay. Not sure which system you have. Are you sure you actually have the "compressor relay" in yours?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Stephan,

If it blows the fuse when he jumps out the low pressure switch, I would have to think that maybe he piched or damaged a wire while changing the intake gaskets, as he says it all started after that. And sounds like maybe the low pressure switch is defective or the system is low.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Ron View Post
    Stephan,

If it blows the fuse when he jumps out the low pressure switch, I would have to think that maybe he piched or damaged a wire while changing the intake gaskets, as he says it all started after that.
    That's a good possibility Ron.

Zamble, have you looked over your intake repair to see if you have any wires hanging out between the mani & the block? Like Ron pointed out, the timing of the intake repair & the AC problem is kind of questionable....

Jr. Apprentice

I will recheck it tomorrow for any pinched wires. I left the plastic shroud over all the wire bundles, but will look again. I recharged the system with the battery engaging the comp. When it is running this way the air is very cool.

As far as the wiring, I have a sensor on the lines where the low side is at, with 2 wires going to it..

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zamble View Post
    As far as the wiring, I have a sensor on the lines where the low side is at, with 2 wires going to it..
    Just to clairify, this is your low pressor switch that you're talking about, & it has 2 green wires going to it, & this is the same one that you jumped the wire plug on when it blew the fuse, right?

Jr. Apprentice

I will post a picture tomorrow.

are you trying to jump the pressure switch on your accumulator or on your compressor? you should be trying to jump the one that goes directly in your compressor i believe. When i bought my compressor i had to buy that pressure switch as well since my compressor was gone when i bought my truck.
    :neutral:94BURBTX:neutral:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast