GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2008 Chevy Suburban Review

Hopefully I'll be able to review a 2008 Chevy Suburban pretty soon. Anyone seen one yet?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

They don't look any different than the '07 do they?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Jr. Apprentice

I just bought one last last week (Tuesday).
    The 2008 Sub is a beautiful vehicle. It has the same smooth lines that the 2007's introduced. Here are some differences I noticed.
    1. New colors. I bought the Blue Granite Metallic. This replaces the bermuda blue from 2007.
    2. Side curtain airbags are now standard.
    3. The instrument faces looked different than the 2007 Sub I test drove also.
    4. Onstar package includes Directions and connections plan

This is what I purchased:
    2008 Sub Blue Granite Metallic. LT2 package with Ebony leather. 3 pass 3rd row bench, Dealer added GM headrest DVD players (2), Dealer added GM sunroof.

I couldn't be more happy with the combination. It was a good combo of nice options without spending a bucket load of money. The interior of the sub was IMO superior to the 2007 Expedition EL I was also considering. The power of the engine was also better as well as the smooth ride.
    I test drove an 07 with the Z95 suspension package. The Z95 was a stiffer ride with a little bit more wheel noise. The 08 burb with standard suspension is as quiet as a church mouse.
    My dealer was great to work with. I got the truck for invoice and they even honored the GM 1000 cash back offered on 08 Yukon XL's (For some reason, GM offers the cash on the Yukon XL's but not the subs. They are about the same vehicle!).

One thing I noticed is how hard Onstar tries to push you into buying minutes when you activate the service. I just added the cell phone feature to my verizon plan for 10 bucks / month more and never have to worry about buying minutes. I recommend this if you want to talk in the vehicle.

My recommendation....BUY ONE!

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by nowlaj View Post
    The 2008 Sub is a beautiful vehicle. It has the same smooth lines that the 2007's introduced. Here are some differences I noticed.
    1. New colors. I bought the Blue Granite Metallic. This replaces the bermuda blue from 2007.

2008 Sub Blue Granite Metallic. LT2 package with Ebony leather. 3 pass 3rd row bench, Dealer added GM headrest DVD players (2), Dealer added GM sunroof.

I couldn't be more happy with the combination. It was a good combo of nice options without spending a bucket load of money. The interior of the sub was IMO superior to the 2007 Expedition EL I was also considering. The power of the engine was also better as well as the smooth ride.
    I test drove an 07 with the Z95 suspension package. The Z95 was a stiffer ride with a little bit more wheel noise. The 08 burb with standard suspension is as quiet as a church mouse.
    My dealer was great to work with. I got the truck for invoice and they even honored the GM 1000 cash back offered on 08 Yukon XL's (For some reason, GM offers the cash on the Yukon XL's but not the subs. They are about the same vehicle!).

One thing I noticed is how hard Onstar tries to push you into buying minutes when you activate the service. I just added the cell phone feature to my verizon plan for 10 bucks / month more and never have to worry about buying minutes. I recommend this if you want to talk in the vehicle.

Congrats on the truck. The GMT-900s are definitely ahead of the rest of the SUV/truck pack.

Got any pics?

Good report! I have been a quite a few 2007s and only one 2008. The instrument panel appears to have a different face, and it's easier to read when going down the road w/o having to turn the lights on, something to do with shadows and what not on the gauges.

I got to drive a 2007 Yukon XL Denali (I posted a review on here) and it's built on the same platform, but I'd love to get into a 2008 to see what's new.

I agree about the on-star. I was not aware you could get your cell phone service added to that for $10, it's great to be able to use the hands-free, but I wouldn't want to use the service all the time.

Jr. Apprentice

Ask and ye shall receive

2008 Suburban Blue Granite Metallic
    LT2, DVD (Headrests), Sunroof

Looks great. Love that look.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks. I never get to drive. The wife takes is all the time!!
    I really liked how the colors worked together. We were looking for something different from the usual White, black and silver. (Mind you, those colors do look nice!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by nowlaj View Post

I will as soon as I win the lotto! Sweet ride. Did you opt for 4wd? Victorville has some great places to go 4wheeling.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Jr. Apprentice

There are some great places to go 4X4ing. I chose not to go with 4WD due to the gas mileage difference. I think my wife would have a coronary if I ever took her baby off the road. Heck, she winces when we go to my mothers house which is on a dirt road! Yep a lotto would help. I was lucky to pay for this all at once. I could never afford the 820/month payment.

I'll keep this updated as I discover more fun stuff about my wife's baby!

Mileage update:
    Wife went L.A to Phoenix with city and highway driving. Computer says 17MPG average!
    Last edited by nowlaj; 09-28-2007 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Mileage update

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by