GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Gasket only or use gasket maker?

Howdy all -

My '86 (350) was leaking some oil pretty good so I figured I'd go after the timing chain cover and replace the gasket. Course that entails removing the water pump too. Got everything cleaned up, but I was wondering how I should go about putting it back together...

Should I just use the gaskets that come with it or just a gasket maker or both? If gasket maker, what do ya'll recommend for both the water pump and timing chain cover?

It looks like I used both when I put it together a few years ago. I used a red sealer last time. Don't know exactly where the oil leak was from, but I do know it was somewhere around the timing cover. Should've bought a new one back then, but...

Thanks for the advice!

Troy
    TNT - Texas

First - '68 longbed (lady runs stop sign, insurance gives me a check)
    Then - '81 SWB (stupid stupid stupid...sold it thinking I was going to get something else)
    Now - Finally got my '86 (350, Holley 600, 700r4)

I would use both.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

X2, use a gasket, but you also need to use some kind of sealer/gasket cement to fill the irregularities in the timing cover. Also take a good look at the bolt holes in the timing cover. Are them compressed too much? They should be flat. If they have been overtightened in the past, you should flatten them out again so the sealing side (gasket side) of your cover is perfectly flat.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Personally, when I go to put something back together, if there's a gasket available for it, I just use the gasket with no RTV or other sealers. If the factory used just a gasket and no sealer, it's good to go.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

There's a good chance the old one was damaged at some point. Only had the truck about 6 yrs. Did a motor swap about 3 yrs ago...should've bought a new one then. I think I went with a "gasket maker/sealer" or something and gasket. Either got the wrong stuff or did it wrong...good chance it was a combo of both.

Legend

Dont take offense but YA'LL isnt a word and i hate the term (my favorite aunt lives in Texas and I love to give her crap about that word, especially since she was born and raised in Minnesota), personally I am with CRAWDADDY, do what the factory did. Just use the gasket by itself.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Dont take offense but YA'LL isnt a word and i hate the term (my favorite aunt lives in Texas and I love to give her crap about that word, especially since she was born and raised in Minnesota), personally I am with CRAWDADDY, do what the factory did. Just use the gasket by itself.
    Man your wound tight....i can't have typos and now your correcting grammer. Don't take offense, but your p.u.d.....google it.Either way..just the gasket or in combination with a product like rtv you can't go wrong.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Lool Stoner, if dey eber ban us fur habin typos oar poour spellin den I'um skrewed

Thanks for the info ya'll! I do believe I'm gonna just buy a new cover that comes with the seal installed and gaskets and just use them as is. If I only have to do this every 3 or 4 years then I reckon it's all good!!!