GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How do I cancel out the Airbag light?

The bumper of our 1998 C1500 was hit just enough to set off the driver's airbag (passenger side didn't deploy because it was turned off). I replaced the airbag out of another 1998 C1500 and checked out the sensor behind the bumper which appears to not be damaged. With everything back together and engine running, the airbag light stays on. Is there anything I can do to cancel out the light besides replacing the airbag computer under the seat? Or does it have to be reset by the dealer?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I usually pour mine a stiff drink. She usually is out for the night.

Seriously, go by one of the chain auto stores where they will loan you an scan tool. Scan and clear the codes. If this does not do it then you will have to go to the dealer or someone else that can clear or at least read the DTCs to see what is going on.

Most of the auto store scan tools are drivetrain only.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

According to the recommended procedures, you should replace that sensor, even if it "looks" good. The computer has to be reset by a special tool. You can try an auto parts store to see if they can reset it. Otherwise, the dealer will have to reset it for you.
    Good Luck and God Bless

I've tried the auto part chain stores and they could not reset the SRS module.... I do believe their scanners are for drivetrain only. Went to the local Chevy dealership and the technician said he couldn't clear the deployment code for my year truck (I was surprised). So now I'm entertaining the idea of sending the SRS module to an airbag business which specializes in resetting all fault codes (hard codes and soft codes). Any thoughts on this?

The dealer most likely didn't want to clear the codes for liability reasons. They don't know if the repair was done correctly. Alot of fly-by-night used car/truck dealers don't replace the airbags, just the cover. A SnapOn scanner can reset the code if you can find a shop willing to do it. Also as mentioned above you need to replace the sensor, there made to be triggered/used once. Oh yea, welcome to the club.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Just put a piece of black tape over the light. ;)