GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default My other daily driver/ weekend racer...

This was my motivation for getting a full size truck. Gotta tow this lil ol 4 cylinder to the track just in case something breaks....

old setup:

ill have to show the new setup when i get it more done.

Last years personal best was a 12.6 @ 117 in the 1/4 with sparks shooting out from a blown clutch all the way down the track... Im back this year with a Clutch Masters twin disc so that wont be an issue at all.

Mods happening at the moment are a tubular turbo header, bigger wastegate with all vband joints, 3" exhaust w/ cutout, bigger charge pipes, more accommodating intercooler, quite a few little goodies.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...rk/exhaust.jpg

Aiming for an 11.500-11.999 in the 1/4 since thats as fast as I can legally go, and I refuse to cage it since I have to do a 6 point minimum. I daily drive it too much to do that. I dont want to climb over bars to get in. hope to have it wrapped up by the end of july since im missing all the nice weather.

Any questions or more in depth, feel free to ask.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks again to Steve for getting this post approved so they now show up

Legend
    Blog Entries

That's pretty respectable for a 4 banger. Are you sure about the et break & the cage? It used to be a 4 point roll bar was required for 11.99 & quicker (a full hoop with a rear bar & the 4th coming down at a 45 between the drivers seat & the door)
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    That's pretty respectable for a 4 banger. Are you sure about the et break & the cage? It used to be a 4 point roll bar was required for 11.99 & quicker (a full hoop with a rear bar & the 4th coming down at a 45 between the drivers seat & the door)
    When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?
    A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

So, I'm covered for now and well to be honest, as long as I own the car since im not planning on going faster than that for the life of the car. the reason it was changed was to generate more income for the NHRA certs, as well as quite a few factory cars being able to run faster than the times that say a cage is needed.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thanks Vin, that's interesting. That's the first time I can remember NHRA ever relaxing the safety rules. Usually they go the other way, but like you say if it was to make more money on the certifications.
    I also noticed they reduced the diameter. It used to be 2"
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Jr. Apprentice

No problem, I have looked into this quite a bit, just to be sure the car is as safe, and legal as possible.

Also, to stay legal, I have a clutch scatter shield for the car since im now running a Clutchmasters 725 Series Twin Disc. Still working on a turbo blanket as well as a engine diaper, since both are needed for a vehicle with an aftermarket turbo system.

Ill have my new helmet and fire jacket before I start racing as well.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

My Lawn mower will take ya...... J/k... Take some video's of your runs....And please post...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Apprentice

will do. I plan to pick up a gopro this year as well and get the runs on camera. Ill post them up for sure. Will probably be a month or so before it hits the track :(

Looks like fun to me!
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

That cavi is sick good luck with getting a faster time!! Would love to see video of it
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast