GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Crossfire Vette TBI Starting Problems

I've been trying to help user Xantros on a starting issue with his 84 Corvette, equipped with the crossfire system. The issue is that it will not spray fuel until the vette is running (ie with starting fluid). He has replaced dist, ignition module, plug wires and plugs. Has good fuel pressure and even bypassed pump so it was running constantly when attempting start. If he shoots a little starting fuel in it, it fires right up and keeps running. My ol man thinks its a distributor problem. Xantros is going to try check the ECM for engine RPM reading.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let us know!
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Legend

get rid of the crossfire set up, they are not very good, they had alot of problems
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Well I cant say for certain what is the problem, but I would look at temp sensors and then ecm, since it does start and run, it sounds like electrical is good, it sounds like it is not getting enough fuel due to some type of sensor.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Jason, I don't remember which distributor the '84 Ceasefire had. Is it the one with the 4 wire plug? If so I may be of some help on why the injectors aren't firing.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Hi Guys, thanks everybody for the help so far. Little feedback on the temp sensor as stated. The temp sensor is working fine. As the Vette has a digital dash i can see the reading for the temp, so I guess it is fine. For the RPM reading as stated by Jason in a PM, it doesn't show any RPM reading on the digital dash. The digital dash reading is devided in 2 parts. Once by 2 digits and once by a graph. The graph is not working. My guess a defective dash or would you think this has something to do with the fact that the Vette doesn't start?

A new ECM is ordered from Ecklers and will arive some days from now. When here I'll hook it up and let you guys know the outcome. Also today I will order an ALDL cable as suggested by Jason. Keep you posted.

does the dash read RPM once you get it started? I'm guessing it blanks out while cranking so might not be able to gather the needed info from it. The main step here is to see if the computer is reading RPM during cranking, which you can do with the ALDL cable and tunerpro. Then we can go from there.

Default Aldl cable

Hi Jason, I just ordered the cable from aldlcable .. so when I have it I can answer al of your questions. (The USB one, no serial available on my laptop anymore).

I'm not sure I sent you this, but here is the software you'll want to use: http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

get TunerPro RT, it's free to use, and will just nag you when you start it. However if you like it and think you'll use it more down the road (like to try out some tuning), then I'd register it, as it's a good software package.

This will also be able to tell you what all your sensors and such are reading, to find out if everything's working correctly.

Default Parts received

Hi Jason, Received al the parts today. Will start loggin data today or tomorrow. Keep you posted with the outcome.

Default Crossfire issues....

Ok here we go.. I installed the software and hooked up the ALDL cable to the Vette... Nothing happened, nothing at all. I checked the paperwork with the cable 'stating' you can use a hyperterminal to check if the connection is up and running. So I checked.. nothing. Turns out the ECM is dead as can be. Strange however that it is still running.. Beats me. I just replaced the ECM with the refurbished one from Ecklers (also replaced the PROM) and installed it in the Vette.

New try for the ALDL cable to see if there is a connection. Turn on ignition key, Bingo!! Suddenly al kinds of relays en sensors start making noise and the software Freescan (TunerPro doesn't seem to work on windows 7) software start loggin all kind of things.

Next step, I want to start the Vette to see if this was the complete issue.. Battery dead.....

So I will charge it and come back to you with the newest findings. So far from Holland..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by