GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

If it is a military truck, it's going to have the 6.2L non-turbo diesel in it and a TH400 transmission. If it's a pickup with any body on the back (pickup, service, ambulance, cab&chassis, etc) it is rated as a 1.25 ton truck and has 4.56 gears front and rear. Front axle's a Dana 60 and the rear is a 14-bolt full-floater with a Detroit locker in it. It's run on a 24 volt electrical system, but really the only thing that's 24 volt is the starter.

If it's the blazer version, it still has the same engine and tranny, but it has 10-bolt semi-float axles front and rear with a 3.08 gear ratio. It's also a 24 volt system.

This wiki page can give more info on the CUCV line of military trucks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerc..._Cargo_Vehicle
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 07-21-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: fixed trans info
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Ok, my update, the guy with truck never called m eback, his GF says he's still out of town & has my number. In the meantime, i have ran across a 86 cucv blazer...Guy says he has just put new glow plugs,, im suppose to see it today a 130. Not sure what to look for or ask him other than normal vehicle questions. UPdate tonight.

OK i looked at this blazer...The PO has had it 10 months he has installed glow plugs recommended from military site. It has leather bucket seats, no console, windows are good, lights work, it has 57k showing on odometer thats broke. Only rust other than surface rust is spot on hood above left head light. It is 24v no radio, heat works....Seems to shift well,,,Has wore out after market mudder tires. Idles fine, pulls to left when breaking. Obviously it needs tlc..can you install radio with 24v? $3400

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

nice find.... I am going to build a box for Anna's truck that plugs into the Cig lighter It will have a Ant,cd/radio and 2 good speakers...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I havent bought it yet,,im trying to get more info. Would i need to do away with the 24v system to install radio in dash? or to hook up anything else 12v?
    What are the pitfalls to these blazers?

90% of the truck is still 12 volt, so installing a 12 volt radio should be pretty easy. The block-off plate where the radio mounts should be removeable and you can stick a regular 12v radio in. I think the doors and side walls should have the holes for speakers, but there will no wiring for them, so you'll have to wire them yourselves. The reason the military did the CUCV program was so that they could get "production trucks off the assembly line". That being said, aside from the little things that are different like motor and tranny, the bodies are identical to normal Blazers.

Can i change to a 12v starter & put batteries in series? Or is it not necessary? One guy has said if it 24v or doesnt have the serpentine belt to pass on it.

I paid 4k for an 85 cucv...with 80kmiles.... Its good the glow plugs were installed...The less rust the better.....tires are easy to find...
    3400k for 57 miles is good....slight pull to the left is not uncommon....

try this website... www.steelsoldiers.com

from what i understand...a radio can be installed if you are talking about am/fm kind
    you can also get a communication radio installed..

contact enkeiavalanche for details on installing an am/fm radio

the website above is a great source of information on military vehicles..
    in these blazers...only the ignition and the fuel injections runs on the 24v system...all other things runs on the the single 12v. battery. you can install a radio to the 12v. battery..they also have radios and ipod docks that can be hooked up via cigarette lighter
    these blazers have two separate 12v batteries....it was designed that if one battery dies..it kicks over to the other battery
    I am still new to the hobby...... try steelsoldiers.com

Are you in new jersey? There are clubs you can join that are made up of military vehicle owners. I belong to the M.T.A military transport association www.mtaofnj.org and tristate mv www.tristatemv.com I do parades and get paid for using my blazer.
    If you want, you can come see and drive my cucv to compare. I can also have my friend, Artie, come with his cucv. I guarantee he can answer all your questions. Go look on my profile page for pictures of my truck.

hope this helps.
    Anna

thanx Anna.Im in Georgia
    yet another update,,,,i have made a bid on one on ebay,(by PM) ,,check it out if he doesnt get a better offer by Thursday its mine...what yall think..?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Sorry, I missed the ebay bid..so when i tried the link...the sale already expired....so I couldn't see it. Did you win the bid?