GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Window tint question

Ok Im gonna sound stupid here, but what is my stock window tint? Im looking at numbers on the windows and Im seeing DOT 15 and 77's. They are really light. Also I want to get them tinted, so what is a good tint % thats not completely ghetto? I dont need any trouble with tint tickets.

2004 Silverado Z71
    5.3 V8
    295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Daystar leveling kit
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Airaid Jr. CAI
    Tractor Supply tool chest
    20% tint

Quote Originally Posted by Pruett View Post
    Ok Im gonna sound stupid here, but what is my stock window tint? Im looking at numbers on the windows and Im seeing DOT 15 and 77's. They are really light. Also I want to get them tinted, so what is a good tint % thats not completely ghetto? I dont need any trouble with tint tickets.
    I can't remember what degree of tint the Auto Makers put on the Window/Side Glass......below is a link showing you what degree of Tint is legal in each state,

Link,
    http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

On my '08 the factory tint was marked at being 16% and I had 18% put on the front two windows and 20% over the factory tint on the back glass.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    On my '08 the factory tint was marked at being 16% and I had 18% put on the front two windows and 20% over the factory tint on the back glass.
    Thanks Alston......I just could not Remember what degree of Tint they come with from the Factory.....

Anytime Mike!!

thanks for the legal tint numbers. but im still not understanding. i know nothing about window tint. so if yours came stock with 16% tint, im thinking maybe the dot 15 means 15% but i have no idea. they are practically clear. they are not even close to how dark yours is ajar. sorry for being so stupid with this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    I can't remember what degree of tint the Auto Makers put on the Window/Side Glass......below is a link showing you what degree of Tint is legal in each state,

Link,
    http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
    Great link

Here are some pics of tint on my wifes car. the front side windows are at 50% and the rears are at 5% (nothing on windshield). the 50% are illegal in CA but i have never had an issue. there are plenty down here with limo tint on all windows (too much for me).
    The link showed 32% all around for your state.
    So pic one is inside looking out facing away from sun, 2 is outside looking in facing sun, 3 outside in facing away from sun (in the shade too), and then from the back looking in, sun on left hand side. you can see through the window outside in when its sunny on the 5%. cell phone pics but hopefully they at least give you a little bit of an idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tint 1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	28993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tint 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	28994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tint 3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	28995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tint 4.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	28996
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

definately helps keep it a little cooler in the car as well.

Might be marked different by dealer, but window tint is based on visibility (opaqueness?). so smaller numbers are darker. Has to do with shining a light through and how much light is emitted on the other side.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 07-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruett View Post
    thanks for the legal tint numbers. but im still not understanding. i know nothing about window tint. so if yours came stock with 16% tint, im thinking maybe the dot 15 means 15% but i have no idea. they are practically clear. they are not even close to how dark yours is ajar. sorry for being so stupid with this subject.
    Keep in mind....The lower the Number, the Darker the film Allowed.....Generally the Films are Sold as 5%(Limo)....20%(Dark)....35%(Medium)....and 50%(Light).

I have done a little more research. I now believe I have 70% tint stock. Im thinking about going 35 or so to keep it legal. Thanks for the help guys. I have learned alot from this site!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by