GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Dipstick oil range 5.3 AFM

My 2009 5.3 w/AFM engine oil dipstick has 4 marks or bumps. One for full, one for add, and 2 in-between. Does anyone know what the oil volume is suppose to be between full & low or between the marks?

I know it used to be the typical amount was 1 qt between the add and full line. which would put those at 1/3 qt increments. Like I said that was normal for older vehicles.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

are you losing oil or just wondering? If you are down to say one bump under full, add 1/4 or 1/3 qt. let it sit a couple minutes and then check the level see how much it increases. should be done cold as well. It will be more accurate than if the engine is hot.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

The level was down about half way the other day 2,000 miles after an oil change. It took a quart to bring it up to full. That would mean 2 quarts between add & full... but that seems like too much of a range.
    I'll have to pay closer attention next time. Seems to be using some oil, anyway.

But yes, I can't seem to find the volume range amount published between full & add anywhere.
    Last edited by Mudflaps; 07-21-2011 at 01:49 PM.

ok good to know (on the quantity part). yeah about the only way I think to really know is by adding and checking. And as stated before the most accurate is after it has sat for a little bit so you get most the fluid back in the pan. I have seen some with a larger range on the dipstick. hopefully it was just a random thing with the low oil and not a burning issue as your truck is still fairly new. I have done that where I checked it and it was low but never did it again so hopefully thats the case.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member