GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

White. Dark colors get hot in the direct sun. Since I will be most concerned about cooling and its effect on range, I went white.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    White. Dark colors get hot in the direct sun. Since I will be most concerned about cooling and its effect on range, I went white.
    Makes sense. Keep us posted. I hope this works out for you. Still trying to convince the wife to get a Volt.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

$2 for 60 miles sounds about right.
    I spend time on a mpg forum-clean mpg-and Leaf owners seem happy enough.
    I think they use about 300 watt hrs per mile at 60 mph -so roughly 3 cents per mile at 10 cents per KWHr-or just as you guessed-$1.98 60 miles.
    60 pure highway miles with my Suburban-1998 2wd- would take 3 gallons-roughly $11
    The Volt- on just elecricity- uses maybe 75 WATT HRS more per mile I think.Maybe 300 for Leaf 375 for Volt- but the Volt is more versatile(spelled wrong??)
    On gasoline 60 mph the Volt gets about 38 mpg is my memory- not spectacular, but not bad either.A Cruze would beat that by a little-so would a Civic or a Corolla
    A 25mpg city car would cost about 375/25 or 15 cents per mile-$3.75 gas-so even if it -the Volt uses 500 watt hrs per mile- it is just 5-6 cents per mile with 10-12 cent electricity.The Volt would on ly use 500watt hrs per mile at a very high-80mph- speed
    Our electricity NOLA- is about 11 cents per KWHr now(natural gas and NUKE generated)
    Saving 10 cents per mile is $10,000 per 100,000 miles
    Charlie
    PS Of course A Suburban is much more versatile than an economy car.We have one economy car-Prius-and the 1998 Suburban(bought used-cheap-$2950) 4.5 years and 21,000 miles ago.The Prius was $26000 - Tax credit= not cheap.The Suburban has taken maybe 1400 gallons-$5000 or so in fuel
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 10-12-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yea you can buy a lot of gas for what a new, more economic car will cost. LOL I am taking the approach that I am going to save money on fuel and extend the life of my Suburban. If I replaced it with a 2 year old used one similarly equipped, it would cost around what I am paying for the Leaf. But the cost to operate that new suburban would be not much different that my 98. At the rate I am currently piling the miles on my Burb, I will top 300K miles in the next two years.

Legend
    Blog Entries

So the dealer called me and said they had a demo and would like for me to come drive it. I drove the Nissan Leaf yesterday and it was unbelievable. I kept saying, I can't believe this is an electric car.

I remain a steadfast GM supporter. But if you get a chance to drive the Leaf, take it. It will change the way you think about automobiles!

Mine is due to arrive in Mid December.

Wow December?

I'm gonna start an electric car forum, you should join.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I will be your charter member. Not a whole lot of maintenance though. You change the cabin air filter like every 30 k miles. The coolant (used to cool the motor and battery it helps also with heating the car I am told), every 125K miles then every 75 k miles. The battery gets checked once a year and they check the gear reducer oil level (no tranny, just a single reduction gear box).

I just hope I live to see the day when I can buy a fully electric Suburban with towing capacity. It would have to have an on board nuclear reactor which has its advantages. If you looked in your review mirror and saw the international symbol for nuclear energy with a Chevy bowtie super imposed on it, you would get the hell out of the way wouldn't you? Just don't get that response on the interstates these days...................

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    I will be your charter member. Not a whole lot of maintenance though. You change the cabin air filter like every 30 k miles. The coolant (used to cool the motor and battery it helps also with heating the car I am told), every 125K miles then every 75 k miles. The battery gets checked once a year and they check the gear reducer oil level (no tranny, just a single reduction gear box).

I just hope I live to see the day when I can buy a fully electric Suburban with towing capacity. It would have to have an on board nuclear reactor which has its advantages. If you looked in your review mirror and saw the international symbol for nuclear energy with a Chevy bowtie super imposed on it, you would get the hell out of the way wouldn't you? Just don't get that response on the interstates these days...................
    Aaandd we're back to a previous thread of clearing traffic with WMD. I like it because you won't hear the Burb coming, but you'll certainly see it. BTW - I saw a pic of a Leaf in Popular Mechanics this month, but it's a racing version. Looks pretty cool, but I couldn't find it online. They may delay the articles online by a month. They do have a Volt long term test drive update. Pretty good ratings, but about 30 miles to a charge.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I heard about a race the Leaf was in where it was a race up a mountain or something. The plan was that the leaf was going to do it IN REVERSE. The leaf has a single reduction gear box - no tranny. So it can go as fast backwards as it can forwards. I saw this on leaf website but I never could find an announcement whether they won, lost, or misplaced the balls it would take to fly up the side of a mountain backwards! LOL

Contractor coming today to install my charger. Normally about $2,500 for charger and installation, my local utility is furnishing it under a limited pilot program. They monitor my use of the charger for 3 years and then if I want to keep it, I pay $400.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Car delivery moved up to the week of Thanksgiving. I have experimented with different routes to work that involve more rural roads and less interstate. Instead of 40 interstate and 20 rural roads it is going to be about 30 interstate and 30 rural roads. That means I can charge to 80% as opposed to 100% and extend the battery life. Suburban seems to like it too. Slower speeds mean less fuel. Interstate 85 in the upstate of South Carolina is not conducive to going the posted speed limit of 65 mph! Timing could not be better as the rear main seal needs replacing, the starter is acting up and a few other minor issues that need attention.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by