GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Well it actually has a small solar panel on the rear roof area. It is for charging the 12 volt accessory battery. The main drive battery has to be charged off the grid. I ordered the SL which comes with the 480v receptacle and the 240 receptacle. It also has a 120 v trickle charge adapter so yea, I can stop and charge if I have to. There are actually a couple of service stations that have installed chargers but I do not know what voltage they are or if they charge you to use them. It really is not a issue though. I can get to work and back on an 80% charge. If I need to go further, I can charge to 100% which will bump the range up by another 20 miles or so I am estimating.

The key to this car is to stay within its range. Not really hard to do. I made several trips with out charging at all this weekend as they were all local trips. At speeds under 40 the range can be as high as 130 miles depending on driving habits and outside temperatures. For comparison purposes, EPA fuel economy equivalent for the Leaf is 106 miles per gallon in the city and 92 on the highway.

My plan is to drive it only 1/2 as far as the range will allow. The other half will be spent getting home. I am going to post some good pictures when we get a sunny day and it is warm outside. Don't get me wrong guys, if it burns gas, make mine a Chevy. But the all electric Nissan Leaf is fun to drive, loaded with features and, in my opinion, the best commuter car if the range will work for you.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

its a interesting idea. ill buy into electric cars and trucks when you show me one that'll tow 15 thousand at 75 mph and go 400 miles.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

well if you get stuck with a dead battery atleast you always have the burban as a back up lol. ive read the prius's are worse on the environment than a hummer h2 is, because of how the battery is made and all that
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

what happens if you put killer speakers in it ? does that come off the accessory or the main power supply
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Accessories come off the 12 volt battery. They would not be an issue I do not think. Of course the accessory battery pulls off the main drive battery but that is not a big drain.

Alex, for me the electric car does not replace the Suburban, it complements it. I can have my burb for road trips and hauling without having to feed it gasoline to the tune of 4 gallons a day. The leaf saves me money and extends the life of the burb. Since many families have two cars one of them could be electric as long as the range works. As for hauling 15K at 75 for 400 miles, I don't think it will be coming any time soon. However, it hauls my 200 lb ass 60 miles at 65 mph with no problems.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    Accessories come off the 12 volt battery. They would not be an issue I do not think. Of course the accessory battery pulls off the main drive battery but that is not a big drain.

Alex, for me the electric car does not replace the Suburban, it complements it. I can have my burb for road trips and hauling without having to feed it gasoline to the tune of 4 gallons a day. The leaf saves me money and extends the life of the burb. Since many families have two cars one of them could be electric as long as the range works. As for hauling 15K at 75 for 400 miles, I don't think it will be coming any time soon. However, it hauls my 200 lb ass 60 miles at 65 mph with no problems.
    well im really glad you are happy with it, and i hope it keeps performing like it is now!
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

I love the idea of a sustainable transportation and completely support the development of it, but I just dont think electric cars are going to be the answer. Electric cars still have a long way to go, mostly the batteries in those cars, with the range and the life of them. The technology of the cars and cost of manufacturing them needs to further develop before I can see its as the top solution IMO. Caddi, how you are using the car is perfect, and it does save you tons of money especially when you are staying locally. I am glad you love it and atleast you are one of the people that realize that a sustainable solution for transportation is needed.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

not criticising the car, or you caddiac, more just making a comment on it. if the money worked i would look at a Volt, but the wife and I just cant afford it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

It falls in the realm of diesel cars. They are better on economy of fuel/power. But the initial costs are so much greater I think for most of us it is a budget killer. Not sure what caddi paid, and it is none of my business, but I here they go for 10-20,000 more than a car of similar size
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345