GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 Sierra - ticking noise

I just noticed yesterday that when I am accelerating I get a ticking noise - it gets fast the more I accelerate - then once I am not accelerating the ticking goes away.

I popped the hood and had my wife rev her up and I did not hear the ticking until it idles then it ticks for 10-20 seconds then stops. I installed shorty headers maybe 4-6 months ago and I was thinking I had a small exhaust leak.

I am just not sure how to confirm that or what else to check that could tick like that.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I know this sounds funny, but a easy way to fined a exhaust leak is to put some Seafoam in the engine. If you have a header/exhaust leak the smoke will come out at the leak. Years ago I found a leak in my shorty headers on my Suburban this way. It had a crack in the flange you couldn't see.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I know this sounds funny, but a easy way to fined a exhaust leak is to put some Seafoam in the engine. If you have a header/exhaust leak the smoke will come out at the leak. Years ago I found a leak in my shorty headers on my Suburban this way. It had a crack in the flange you couldn't see.
    Ya I heard that too.... Its very faint ticking..infact the only reason i heard it was after driving with the stereo off the other day and i really have to listen for it.

I checked the oil today and it in the cross hatched area just below or at the second hole in the dip stick....the owners manual just states the cross hatched area is the operating range but it seems low to me?

Well,

It turns out it was an exhaust leak....I used the gaskets that came with the aftermarket headers and they were crap...replaced them with the OEM gaskets....lesson learned!