GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I have to get a new HU to add a amp and sub?

Hey all, I'm just wondering if I have to get a new HU to add a jl w3v3 8" and a crap amp into my truck? I have a decent HU already out of my old sonoma but I actually like the stock dash/HU and wouldn't mind keeping it if It can simply be add'd on?

Its a 2010 Sierra EXT Cab, Nevada Edition.
    2010 Sierra Nevada Edition
    4.8L Ext. cab - Black Z85 4x4 G80
    Shaved a couple badges and 4x4 stickers, DeeZee Red label Low Pro gloss black Brite plate cross box,DeeZee gloss black Brite plate bed rail caps , K&N,more to come.

You do not need a new HU for subs. Alot of amps have line input converters built in so you can just tap into your rear speaker wires to get your audio. Or you could go with a Line output converter http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I...i.html?tp=2001 if your amp doesnt have one built in.

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

What he ^^^ said!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ditto above.... With just a sub added to the factory radio you should be fine..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Also, PAC Audio makes some great stuff to connect into OEM systems. For my 04 Z71, I got http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28 to give me RCA outs and a remote wire, without having to cut and splice the factory wiring. Just plug it in and go. They also have several similar things for the newer GM vehicles with CAN bus and GM-LAN. You might want to check them out.

So I would just need to run the power for the amp from the battery then? and splice into my rear speakers to get my audio signal?
    Shaved a couple badges and 4x4 stickers, DeeZee Red label Low Pro gloss black Brite plate cross box,DeeZee gloss black Brite plate bed rail caps , K&N,more to come.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Or find a Hot lead tats turns on with the truck and don't forget to fuse the wire....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Also, PAC Audio makes some great stuff to connect into OEM systems. For my 04 Z71, I got http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28 to give me RCA outs and a remote wire, without having to cut and splice the factory wiring. Just plug it in and go. They also have several similar things for the newer GM vehicles with CAN bus and GM-LAN. You might want to check them out.
    X2...... plus since this is directly out of the back of the deck you'll get a better signal then you would by splicing into the factory speaker wires.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

so for that I would just plug that into the harness on the OEM deck, and I would still just need to find a place to send the power from the batt to the amp, and robert's your fathers brother?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    so for that I would just plug that into the harness on the OEM deck, and I would still just need to find a place to send the power from the batt to the amp, and robert's your fathers brother?
    Pretty much, yes. It's a little box that plugs into the back of the radio, and the truck's harness plugs into it. And it gives you a remote and rca connections. On the one I got from PAC, I had to hook up the remote to the right wire in the harness, as it was left disconnected on the stereo side, as it is different on some years. But did not require altering the existing harness at all. Then you just have to run the remote and RCAs back to the amp, and the power and ground for the amp, and you're set, aside from tuning and hooking up the sub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast