GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

hahahaha, yeah that's a good response video.

Blog Entries

It'll actually be pretty hard to track the stolen goods. A few pawn shops in town might end up with a set but that's about it. 35x4=140 wheel sets. Say ten people did it. That's fourteen sets apiece averaging $1,000 a set, about fourteen grand in a night's work. I'd like that if I could do it leagally. But I can easily fit a set and a half below bed level in my GMC Sonoma. Found this out after having two blow outs in one day and trying to find one extra to put on with my spare so I could drive it. How many could be put into a full size pick up or say a Suburban...wow this post is making me look bad, lmao. But how many can you fit into a Suburban decked out for cargo room? Say three across stacked four high is twelve in itself, two catty cornered between wheel wells stacked four high is eight with another three across four high at the back is 32 total. Say the same layout in a full sized pick up only stacked three high is 24. That's 54, over one third of the total amount. There may be more efficient ways of loading the tires into the gettaway rigs but this is just speculation. I think a box truck from UHaul would of been suspicious but it would probly hold all of them or close to all of them, then and have a couple pick ups to hold the overflow. But then you have to take into account the space the crew takes up on the way out. And tools would take up space, add wieght and time. Portable impact wrenches pointed out by BlackOut07 would really speed things along and probly act as a timer as the battery power wouldn't last that long. You see those 1.5 ton aluminum race jacks at the parts store, easy to move and three or four pumps gets the wheel off the ground. Lug nut guy hits the cars. Jack and block guys come run up and lift the car, knock off the wheels and drop them on blocks. Then when the lug nut guy is done he helps the crew rolling them away. As the time goes on, it only goes faster because as the jack and block guys get done they join the rolling crew. Not that hard. But the more I figure on this, a crew of five or six would be better than ten. Four could do it but it would take longer. You'd need to be able to roll them to the transport quickly from the start. Add a $75 dollar pellet rifle from the store or somebody who's been there enough to know where a switch that controls the lights is and you have darkness. This is all speculation though. I read a lot of James Patterson and John Grisham books. I'm also in the Army and a lot of the leadership classes I've taken focused on the mission planning. A lot of the tools they allegedly used in this mock up plan is a result of people's laziness and companies making money off it. The portable lug wrench and race jack. Now a portable lug wrench is good to have in your vehichal if you have difficulties using a tire iron or star wrench or gave it to somebody who's not as mechanically inclined as others, but look at the majority of people buying and using them. The race jack, useless. I have a two ton trolly jack made of steel that moans, groans and pops when I lift one wheel on my Burban. And it's aluminum, I don't trust it. The size of it negates any wieght saved. Sorry if this is long winded and to anilitical but I think I need to be an investigator.

Updating this thread ...

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

This thread got over 4k views.

And I was shocked by the 18-Wheeler story. How do people manage this? I've actually never seen people steal truck tires in my life, but this is outrageous, lol. Glad it happened in 2011 and since then have been no stories in recent time of this magnitude. (Unless they just don't talk about it because it's so common)

Need more safety or something, lol.

We've had more hits of this size since then.
    The problem is they have become common place and dont rate the same attention they once did.

Two weekends ago, down in Houston when I was helping my mom move, thieves hit the U-Haul store we were supposed to get our truck from. They stole the catalytic converters out from under 15 trucks. Crazy. Another location we went to that had a truck for us said they got hit the same way about a month earlier.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

This happened in bartelsville, OK a couple weeks ago too
    Chuckie!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123