GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rattlecanned my tailgate handle.

Decided to try my hand at small parts painting, I'm planning on changing up my door handles, I'm not liking the cheap Putco Handle covers any more. So I started out on the tailgate by painting the bucket first, didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt. I was going to leave the chrome pull on but for some reason it just didn't look right, so I pulled the handle out and painted it too.
    Here's the bucket after the first attempt,

Didn't like it so I sanded it and did it over, here it is with the handle.

Here they are on the truck,

I'm still not happy with the bucket so I ordered another smooth one from E-bay so I can get it right, but it'll do for now. I used the usual Duplicolor Perfect Match products, Filler primer, Adhesion promoter, Clear and Color matched paints, I did have to order my color online since Advance in my area doesn't carry Dark Ming Blue Metallic!
    Last edited by adampaul1964; 07-29-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Decided to try my hand at small parts painting, I'm planning on changing up my door handles, I'm not liking the cheap Putco Handle covers any more. So I started out on the tailgate by painting the bucket first, didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt. I was going to leave the chrome pull on but for some reason it just didn't look right, so I pulled the handle out and painted it too.
    Here's the bucket after the first attempt,

Didn't like it so I sanded it and did it over, here it is with the handle.

Here they are on the truck,

I'm still not happy with the bucket so I ordered another smooth one from E-bay so I can get it right, but it'll do for now. I used the usual Duplicolor Perfect Match products, Filler primer, Adhesion promoter, Clear and Color matched paints, I did have to order my color online since Advance in my area doesn't carry Dark Ming Blue Metallic!
    Adam.....every-time you do another Mod, it just takes your Truck to Another Level....Oh Man!!!......the Tailgate Bezel and Handle Color Matched......looks Awesome..............I can't hardly wait to see what your Truck will look like with the Door Handles Color Matched!!......Bottom-Line you have build One Classy looking Custom Silverado.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Adam.....what are your impression's of the Duplicolor Product's that you used??....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Looks good Adam. Try wet sanding the primer before the first coat of paint, then wet sand the first coat and then put your final coat on. I've found this works well for a smooth final finsh.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Looks good Adam. Try wet sanding the primer before the first coat of paint, then wet sand the first coat and then put your final coat on. I've found this works well for a smooth final finsh.
    Thanks for the advice, still learning, trying to figure out the best way.

I forgot to say I use 1,000 wet for primer and 1,500 or 2,000 wet for sanding the first paint coat.

Wow, that looks great! Looks like a factory paint job to me
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

To answer Mike's question, the Duplicolor paints are a great product, the color match is exactly what the label says, "perfect match" and the clear coat goes on really well, I've read where people have had trouble with rattle can clears but this worked really well.

Wow, I think that looks great! Two thumbs up!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

That looks great Adam,i think you did a nice job on the handle!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"