GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice

Default Travel Trailer Towing Help with 1/2 ton

Hi, I am looking to purchase a travel trailer for the family (wife + 2 young boys) that will be towed with my 2009 1500 crew 4x4, below are some of the specifics:

3.42 gear
    6 sp transmission
    max trailer weight - 9,500lb (has HD cooling / towing package)
    GCWR - 15,000lb

I was looking at a Prime Time Tracer 2910BHS with the following specs:

Length - 33ft
    Dry Weight - 5,536lb
    Hitch - 589lb
    Cargo Capacity - 1,734lbs

I am very new to the RV'ing world. For the most part we intend on keeping the RV at a campsite for most the season but may take it on week long trips now and then, my guess is that I will only physically be towing the trailer 10-15 days each year. On the surfuce I think I should be ok with this setup but would love to hear from people experienced with towing RV's (or towing in general). Any thoughts or concerns with the above combination?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.
    Last edited by toleo; 07-29-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Tony - Pittsburgh
    '09 Sierra SLT Crew 5.3L

Quote Originally Posted by toleo View Post
    Hi, I am looking to purchase a travel trailer for the family (wife + 2 young boys) that will be towed with my 2009 1500 crew 4x4, below are some of the specifics:

3.42 gear
    6 sp transmission
    max trailer weight - 9,500lb (has HD cooling / towing package)
    GCWR - 15,000lb

I was looking at a Prime Time Tracer 2910BHS with the following specs:

Length - 33ft
    Dry Weight - 5,536lb
    Hitch - 589lb
    Cargo Capacity - 1,734lbs

I am very new to the RV'ing world. For the most part we intend on keeping the RV at a campsite for most the season but may take it on week long trips now and then, my guess is that I will only physically be towing the trailer 10-15 days each year. On the surfuce I think I should be ok with this setup but would love to hear from people experienced with towing RV's (or towing in general). Any thoughts or concerns with the above combination?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

A couple of items to look at would be......Brake Controller(A Must)......Rear Air Bags, will help with rear sag and handling.....and going with a Larger Transmission Cooler.....I have a thread on installing a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler, to replace the Small Factory Transmission Cooler....to help with lowing Trans. Temps when towing.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-13-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think he has the 5.3L Mike.
    Tony, the package sounds good. You're in the GCVW. The 3:42 gears will be ok since you have the 6 speed. If you've never towed before, be prepared for windy conditions. Travel trailers are greatly affected by wind because they have so much surface area. Also you need to be attentive when loading your trailer as far as where you distribute the weight because you can add or subtract tongue weight & that will have a big effect on how it handles.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Tony, the package sounds good. You're in the GCVW. The 3:42 gears will be ok since you have the 6 speed. If you've never towed before, be prepared for windy conditions. Travel trailers are greatly affected by wind because they have so much surface area. Also you need to be attentive when loading your trailer as far as where you distribute the weight because you can add or subtract tongue weight & that will have a big effect on how it handles.
    Your Correct Stehpan....on the OP having the 5.3 liter.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    What Size Engine to you have??......For get this Question, I was looking at the wrong infor.LOL...LOL,

A couple of items to look at would be......Brake Controller(A Must)......Rear Air Bags, will help with rear sag and handling.....and going with a Larger Transmission Cooler.....I have a thread on installing a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler, to replace the Small Factory Transmission Cooler....to help with lowing Trans. Temps when towing.
    Thanks, are you saying I should go with a larger cooler than the K5L option currently on it?

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Thanks Stephen, I am currently researching WD hitches and anti-sway bars and hoping this will help with wind. Have any recommendations that would work well for me?

Thanks, are you saying I should go with a larger cooler than the K5L option currently on it?

Its would be something to keep in mind, I also have the Factory Tow package......which includes the Transmission Cooler....and I was seeing Trans. Temps.....around.....180....190.....and sometimes over 200 Degrees when Towing my boat, after replacing the Factory Trans. cooler with the Aftermarket....True Cool 40K Trans. Cooler, I'm now running trans. temps.....at 140...150 Degrees now when Towing my Boat.......a Drop of 40/50 Degrees.....Which is Huge, as Heat is the Single Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission's.....

Here is my Thread on the install of the the True Cool 40k Cooler,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...n-Cooler...WOW

Edit:...I would add that a Weight Distribution Hitch which will Most likely Come with the Travel trailer would also be a item to have(keep in mind),

Link,
    http://mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 07-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Tony, I think with the WD hitch & anti sway bars on it, you'll have very few problems unless you have real high cross winds. When those are set up right, they tow very straight.

Hot Rod, He's quoting GCVWR (combined) which is the GVWR (truck weight + payload in the bed) plus what weight trailer GM deems acceptable for him to tow behind it

Yeah, he specced Gross combined vehicle weight and you specced gross vehicle weight. The GCWR is the max weight for both the truck, cargo, and any trailer weight combined. But, that would still only put his GVWR around 5500 pounds.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Agreed,
    I saw the "C" after i posted... then quickly deleted
    Guess you guys are fast!

I've never been able to find my Max trailer Weight listed anywhere. My Owners manual shows 9600lbs for my truck with 3.42 gears, but nothing for my 3.73.

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

Legend
    Blog Entries

It should be on your drivers door label HotRod. It will be the GCVWR, minus the GVWR

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by